Chapter 19: To Change the Present

June 30, 2014. Monday.

Alfonso stepped out of a black jeep with darkened windows holding the gray orb in his hand. He glanced at the rocket, and for a moment the muscles on his face relaxed.

"You did it," said June running out of the house.

"Yes, here you go." Alfonso passed the orb to the sidekick.

June tried his best to look cool, not to show how heavy the thing was. But after the pain pierced his back, he shouted to the closest guard, who had a black eye, "You! Come over here!" Then gave him the orb and added, "Take it to the missile."

Alfonso's eyes followed the beaten guard. He asked, "What did the cops want? Or perhaps the better question would be: how did those fools escape you yesterday?"

"No clue. When I woke up, I found everyone beaten up, lying flat on the ground. They said the time cop did this to them."

"Then perhaps we should get tougher guards. I think I persuaded a powerful group to join us. They should arrive anytime soon. But to be safe, hire more men, add additional security precautions." Alfonso glanced at the pale moon rising in the clear blue sky.

"Okay, boss. Anything else?"

"Yes. Assemble the container for the book."

"It will be done."

"George Bottlemore," With narrow eyes, Alfonso murmured to the moon. "There is no easy way to save the world. I will win and you will lose.."

———

For the whole length of the trip to the train station, George daydreamed, while the two girls chatted about the weather, food, clothes, and other girly stuff. Sally would explain why items or living conditions in the future were superior to those used nowadays, and Sandy would try to contradict. Whenever George woke up, he stared at the dusty landscape through the bus window or listened to the girls talk. From what he heard them speak, he realized that the future was a dark place. People, there had fewer choices than today. There was less variety of items in the shops. The sky was covered in smoke, through which the sun could rarely be seen. People were wearing almost identical clothes, the color, and type of which most of the time depended on their occupation. What struck him the most, was that the assortment of food one could get in the future was scarce. Sally defended this fact saying that everything they consumed was healthy and nutritious.

George spent his thinking time to evaluate the desperate situation they were in. All his life he had been optimistic believed in himself, but during the last weeks his self-confidence began to crumble. Even now, he could imagine himself outwitting guards, escaping dangerous situations, saving his friends. He could picture many situations in his head, but the only and the most important image that would not materialize was him subduing Alfonso. The villain seemed to be prepared, clever and sneaky, almost invincible.

On the outside, George was smiling and laughing, but deep inside he felt troubled. Alfonso was god knows where getting his fingers on the second stone. They came close to succeeding the first time, not because of their skills, but because they were allowed to. Just so that the evil man could prove how miserable George and his team was. The missile, it seemed, neared its completion. What was the backup person from the future Sally believed in so much? Would he suffice?

As they entered the station, George said, "Sally, I got an idea. What if we ask the backup to arrive a few days earlier and help us in the operation yesterday?"

"George, it won't work. I told you that changing the past is difficult, perhaps even impossible."

"Look at Alfonso, he seems to be doing it just fine."