EPISODE TWELVE: WITHER

Through your windows you can see the darkness, featureless and abyssal, a cloak of black hanging loosely from the shoulders of houses, trees, and everything alike. That same shade of murk seeps into your own room, your bed, your closet, your door — it has everything submerged. However, a dim light allows your eyes to see something through this obscure void of black. The faint light of your laptop screen is what your eyes focus on. It is night time, and you remain awake.

You never quite understood the fear of the dark. You never understood why it was such a common fear, and you never understood why people associate darkness with negative connotations, either. Life can be overwhelming. The absence of light is somewhere you can retreat. Away from people, away from the constant noise, away from society — and as everything fades it all becomes quiet.

At night, the darkness surrounds you, like a reassuring hug from a loving mother — one that you never had. The dark is an ear, an ear that lets your thoughts fly through the roof of your head, and it does not respond. It only hears, and it only listens. And perhaps you find comfort in this darkness because it is one of the things in your life that stays — one of the things in your life that has never left. But you're still awake in this vast darkness for a reason.

"Hello."

Technoblade's tired voice rings throughout the call, but it wasn't him who was talking. It was someone else using a particular voice clip of him on a soundboard — you. "God, it feels so weird hearing my own voice say that. I'll never get used to it." He sighs. "Anyways, I see that you're still awake at- at like, what? Two in the morning? I'm not surprised, though. We're sleep-deprived buddies, after all."

"Do you mind meeting up with me at Pogtopia's base, my fellow sleep-deprived buddy? The one that's inside a ravine. And don't worry about Wilbur or Tommy being there, everyone's offline. They're asleep- Actually, everyone on the SMP is asleep by now, which should probably be concerning for us- But, ehh. Also, I can give you the directions to get here if you get lost. You see, they like to call me a human GPS-"

Technoblade's voice trails off as he looks over his shoulder. He blinks, blankly staring at your character, the one that is already standing across from him. "Well, this is real awkward. How did you get here so quickly? Don't tell me you're a human GPS, too." He pauses. "At this point, I shouldn't even be surprised. You seem to have a thing for appearing out of nowhere. But, back to the point. We both know what we're meeting up for. Give me some of that material wealth."

You nod, handing him the objects he asked for. "Thanks, Y/U. Pleasure doing business with-" He stops, his breath ceasing momentarily in surprise as he gazes at the number of items you have given him. "Y/U, I didn't need fifteen wither skulls. I asked for at least six, that's all. I only needed enough skulls for two withers, not five. How long did this even take?"

He cuts in before you can respond, speaking in a deadpan tone, "Actually, don't answer that question. I don't want to know. I've spent hours on this SMP, and you probably have, too. I remember that one time when I spent an hour giving villagers jobs to try to get that Mending enchantment book. It was a very traumatic experience. How have you been doing, by the way? We haven't hung out as sleep-deprived buddies in a while."

a while? it's only been a few days since we last talked.

"What? Only a few days? You're lying. It has had to be longer than that." You respond with not words, but silence, continuing to stare at him with probing eyes. "Okay, fine." He admits, mumbling, "Maybe I just missed talking to you. You're my sleep-deprived buddy. You're the only person I can talk to when it's this late at night."