47)A Show of Power

Começar do início

Shaking my head at the two of them, I raise a brow at Kade, waiting for some kind of explanation.

He slips a pair of sunglasses on and flips his hood up to cover his dark messy hair. "We need to let Derek and whoever has his back know that we aren't backing down. Just 'cause we can't be in school, doesn't mean we can't wait for our people across the road."

"You think our presence alone will send a message," I add without question, picking up on my cousin's train of thought.

Travis narrows his eyes though, looking unconvinced. "That'll be enough?"

"How about you see what happens when those fucking doors open and then tell if you think it's enough," Kade suggests with a knowing smirk before he heads back towards his bike. "Let's go. Bell rings in ten."

I don't know all the details but unlike Travis, I don't need to. Kade's clearly got something up his sleeve and I trust him enough not to question it. It's not like we have anything to lose at this point.

Slipping my helmet on, I start up my bike. The sound of the engine coming to life blends with the roar from the others' bikes as I turn around to follow their lead out of the parking lot. The drive to the school is quick and our destination becomes obvious as we turn the last corner.

Sitting across the street from the student parking lot with plenty of room to pull over in front is Roman's gold Yamaha and Raegan's white Kawasaki Ninja. Once we all park and remove our helmets to wait, Kade nods over to the bikes that were waiting for us.

"Told Ro and Rae to save us a spot."

"Good thinking." Eddie nods, walking over to his brother's bike and giving it once over. "How about Marcel and Jo. How did they get here this morning?"

Kade fights to hold back a grin. "Had Marcel ride bitch with Rae."

All of us chuckle at that except for Travis who looks like he's ready to punch someone. That is until a sly smirk slips across his face.

"Does that mean Josie rode with Roman?" Travis tips his head at Kade questioningly. "Bet he enjoyed that."

Kade doesn't even twitch at the comment, keeping his face completely blank and hidden behind his shades. But even without the facial cues, we can all fucking feel the sudden tension rolling off of him. Drawing in a deep breath so carefully that no one would know unless they were paying close attention, Kade's mouth thins into a straight line and he turns away from us to lean against his bike. He keeps his head facing the school, waiting, and thankfully Travis takes the hint not to open his mouth again.

Dumbass.

T's our brother, but when he's in a mood he's got a bad habit of lashing out and pissing someone off. Can't entirely blame him this time though. He's protective of his sister. Kade should understand that since we're the same fucking way with Cass.

No one speaks another word as we watch and wait. I lean against my bike and cross my arms, my foot tapping impatiently as the minutes tick by so slow it feels like time's been suspended.

When the loud ass bell finally rings, indicating the end of the school day, my eyes zero in on the front doors. Scanning each face that emerges, I wait to see my girl but once I do, every single muscle in my fucking body tightens.

I push off my bike, a growl dragging from low in my chest as my hands ball into fists at my sides.

"Down, boy," Kade instructs, carefully watching me from behind his glasses.

But I can barely process his words or the warning in his tone, not when that prick has his arm around my girl.

Lexi walks stiffly next to Derek, semi leaning away from him as he obliviously talks to his buddies. But it's his arm that has my attention, wrapped around her waist and possessively trying to keep her at his side.