𝔄 𝔉𝔦𝔤𝔪𝔢𝔫𝔱 𝔬𝔣 𝔓𝔢𝔞𝔠𝔢

"Sir Reynolds." She smiled. Her teeth were pearly and white. "Welcome to the Sutherton manor," she said, her spine straight and erected, her head angled upright and stiff. 

"Lady Sutherton." He returned the scripted politeness with a bow of his head. "It is an honor."

"Yes." She clasped her hands together, positioning them precisely an inch from her pelvis and an inch from her rib cage. "Thank you. I trust the journey was smooth?"

"Absolutely."

She widened her smile, her voice trained in pitch and character. "Wonderful. Now, let us not waste the day. This way." She turned her head, the glow of morning sunlight glazing her flaccid smile.

They walked directly into the surrounding scenery that sparkled with luster and opulence. The fluorescent green manicured flatlands were decorated with towering trees, shaped evergreen hedges, and blooming flower bushes. Romanesque buildings, varying from gigantic to modest, sprouted from the ground, and deliberately placed around them were marble statues, fountains, and ponds with gazebos in the distance. In the presence of all the glory, they were mere specks compared to the manor's portrait of idyllic countryside beauty.

"My, what a lovely estate your husband owns!" he said, his round bulbous head craning around to take it all in. "It is truly fitting of the Sutherton name!" Civil laughter sprung out from his belly as they walked.

"Sir Reynolds," she lightly chuckled.

"It is true!" His baritone voice gleefully rose, the wrinkles on his skin intensifying. "Such perfection rivals impossibility I must say."

"Kind words, Sir Reynolds."

"Of course, my grace."

Briefly, there was silence as they continued pacing gradually along a pristine white stone pathway. They passed along a constructed pond bridge their figures reflecting on the water's surface.

"Now, pardon me." He cleared his throat. "While I am blessed to be in your presence...may I ask why Lord Sutherton's attendance is missed?"

Unresponsive to him, she watched her reflection sway in the water.

"Lady Sutherton?"

She tilted her head, her bark-colored hair pulled into a strict bun covered with a pearled mesh hair snood. And her long, brown, corseted dress wrapped rigidly around her, diamond adornments and jewelry hanging heavy. Pigments of makeup dyed her light amber skin, unable to mask the hints of the wrinkles beginning.

"Lady Sutherton?"

She looked up. "Lord Sutherton was quite busy with other matters. He will be sure to attend to you later."

"I see. Lord Sutherton is indeed a busy man. At least I am honored with the Magnificent One's wealth to have your presence as the wife of Lord Sutherton."

Her reflection was leaving as she dragged her feet away from the pond waters.

"You flatter me." There was a lack of enthusiasm in her voice. "But speaking on my husband, I would like to assure you that Lord Sutherton did want you to know that we shall make your stay here at our estate conducive to your work. We vow to it, and a Sutherton never breaks their vow."

"Most certainly, my grace." He eagerly bobbed his head and wagged the tail of his uniform. "Just as you are true to your word, I will be true to my duty and ensure not a single thing is improper during your departure to the Great Independence celebration so that you, your husband, and your daughter will find comfort in my services."

They neared their destination, the manor main entrance, but she paused suddenly and abruptly.

"My daughter, you say?"