𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔑𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔖𝔥𝔢 ℭ𝔞𝔪𝔢

Darkness surrounded her as she crept along the halls. The sounds of familiar voices had startled her awake. She was so frightened that she jumped out of bed, not even bothering for candlelight or slippers.

Crack!

In the same spot it usually did, the floorboards creaked as she moved quickly.

She knew not what was happening, but she had to move faster to find out.

"It is all wrong! It is all wrong and we know it!"

"That is enough!" She heard the meaning hiss of her father. "You will stop speaking on this matter!"

"You speak this way because you do not know that she did not mean to hurt you, Daviyd."

The closer she was getting, the more she was certain that voice that replied...Sabina.

Her breath quickened as she hurriedly turned the corner and entered the foyer.

"That woman was a whore and we shall not speak any further of her transgressions!"

"No, no, you say that because he poisoned you with lies. He poisoned me, too. He made me see things and told me things that weren't true. She was a good person, she was. At least you know it is true, Anya? You know your sister meant well that she---."

"--Sabina, you need help. We shall call for Prince Nier to come and collect you."

"No! No! No!"

She squinted, the setting was dim, but a few candles, gas, and oil lamps kept the area in a red glow mixing with white moonlight; the foyer doors were left open, the large moon seen in the black sky.

Daviyd, Anya, and Sabina stood around each other, the tension between them palpable as Erin stepped towards them.

"What is going on?" Erin plunged forward.

Immediately her father turned a glare her way. "Erina, go back to your room. Now."

She glanced at him but focused on Sabina. There was dried blood all over her. Her dress was torn and dirtied, and the fear on her sickly face made Erin shiver.

"Sabina, what is wrong? You are bloodied! We must get you help---!"

"--Erina." She cut her off and grabbed her niece's hands tightly.

Squelch!

A sickening feeling was crawling from the pit of her stomach. The blood on Sabina was dry but the blood on her hands was fresh. Erin could feel the sticky substance coat her skin as Sabina clutched her.

Her eyes were wild as she spoke with a shaky breath, "Erina, there is little time. I cannot explain it all, but you must know the truth. It was not my place to keep this hidden from you."

"Sabina." Her father was burning holes into Sabina. "Let go of my daughter. You are not stable."

"Yes, please, Sabina, stop this now," Anya added. "You're scaring us."

"I am stable!" She whipped her head back and shouted to them.

"You came in here screaming like a madwoman. Do not play us, you are unwell. Let go of Erina right now, or I shall remove you myself!" Daviyd shouted back.

"I---?" Sabina opened her mouth to respond, but something in the shadows behind Erina caught her attention. "Naymath? Naymath are you back there?" She peered into the shadows.