Chapter 26

"Why did I even agree to this?" Sophie questioned as her and Keefe stalked toward the Vacker's castle-mansion thing.

    During lunch Keefe had asked her if she still wanted to follow through with their epic prank plan. For some reason, she had agreed. That didn't mean he was forgiven, though. Sophie was still fuming, and she might've been hoping to not only egg the Vacker's bigger-than-a-mansion house, but to also "accidentally" throw an egg at Keefe. To be honest, he deserved it for the insults he had thrown out that morning.

     Keefe smirked. "It must've been my irresistible charm," He joked while running a hand through his fluffy hair that wasn't obscured by his beanie. Keefe had somehow managed to make his mess-of-blond-hair look decent. Well, maybe a little more than decent...

     Despite Sophie's better judgement, she blushed. Why did blushing even have to exist? Oh—right... it's to cool down your body temperature or something like that. Why make it so obvious, though? She rolled her eyes at stupid body functions.

     "Sure." Her eyes circled for the second time in the last ten seconds. "Because your ego totally needs the boost." Sophie said sarcastically.

     He fake gasped. "Are you saying I'm a self-absorbed jerk?"

     "Yup, basically," She honestly stated, but Keefe didn't notice her harsh words because he was too focused on something else.

     Keefe's eyebrows were scrunched together in concentration, and Sophie tried to follow his gaze. Eventually, she found what he was staring at. There was a college-aged man in the window of a room, and he was frantically shuffling through papers like he was in a hurry. What really drew Sophie's attention, though, was what he was muttering. The window had been left open, so her and Keefe could hear every word uttered out of the man's mouth.

    "...They were right here an hour ago." The man cursed and continued muttering. "I think they said something about a trainee. Some girl that was getting trained to take over after the old man passed away..." He let out a frustrated growl. "Now, what useless information did the Neverseen actually want? I'll probably have to write a new report." He let out another string of curses. "I really want to know how dad got his hands on this information..."

    Sophie let out a surprised squeak as she fell forward. She had lost her balance while leaning-in to catch all of what he had been saying.

     Before a giant ruckus was made from Sophie's impact on the hard ground, Keefe caught her and pulled her into his chest. He pressed a hand over her mouth as if he was afraid she would start whimpering.

     She started to take in quick, shallow breaths as the man stared out the window, having heard Sophie's squeak. Keefe's heartbeat was thumping fast against Sophie's ear. They were both completely frozen.

     Suddenly the man closed the window. Her and Keefe both let out a breath they hadn't realized they were holding. Sophie slumped to the ground in relief. It had been a while since she had felt so vulnerable. She could fight without any fear because she'd been doing it her whole life, but hiding was completely different. Your opponent could come at you from any side, and you had limited vision. It was terrifying, petrifying, as you inferred where the next blow was coming from.

     Finally, Sophie's legs solidified and she was able to stand again. "Who was that?" She asked, hoping Keefe knew the answer.

     "Alvar," Was all he said.

꧁A/N꧂
     Yes, that was a super short chapter, but I really wanted to end on that big reveal. I'll post another chapter tomorrow!

~Penguin out ❤️✌🏻