Chapter 31

The hope on Dex's face instantly faded when he voiced his next question. "How do we even fake her death? That seems almost impossible."

That was Sophie's que to smirk. She had been learning from the master of smirking recently. "Key word: almost. That's where the mastermind comes in." She almost regretted her plan. She didn't want to have to deal with Keefe, but they would need as much help as possible.

Dex was instantly confused. "Have you started referring to yourself in third person now?" He let out a sigh like this was daily occurrence and Sophie had to laugh, despite the circumstances.

Her smile slipped away as she spoke. "We'll need as much help as we can get, and so I decided that we need Keefe in our ranks. I accidentally slipped because... well, that doesn't matter. But, we have Keefe on our side now. And from what I learned, he's the master prankster. I feel like that might be a pretty good skill to have on our side when faking a death."

Dex was quiet for a moment, and it seemed like an internal battle was raging in his head until he nodded. "I guess so," was all he said. He then pulled her from their hiding spot.

Sophie tried to resist, but Dex had a strong grip on her arm. "We need to plan! Let go, we got to get to work!" She yelled with a pout.

He looked at her like she was stupid. "You do realize that you still have to get the rest of that information from yesterday, right? It'll definitely be bad for your reputation if you miss 2 days in a row of training."

Sophie mentally facepalmed and relaxed under Dex's grip until he let go. "Oh... Yeah, we can't let me have a bad rep, can we?" When Dex didn't laugh, Sophie awkwardly continued talking. "Ok, not the time for jokes... I'm sorry that I'm not taking this one-hundred percent seriously. I just can't wrap my head around any of this—"

Dex cut Sophie off. "Look, it's fine Sophie. I'm just—I don't know how to explain it. I'm just really scared right now. My family is on the line." He sighed. Sophie had never seen him this distressed before—except for the time they first met. Dex was normally able to turn anyone's frown upside-down, but in this moment he looked like a completely different person. He was no longer the fun and loving Dex Sophie knew, he was pure anxiety.

Sophie had never really gotten how he was so attached to his family. She had always thought of family as your allies, but never had she thought of them as friends. Her lack of knowledge in the family department probably came from her awful family as a child, the lengthy time in which she had no home, and the majorly distant parents she was living with right now. Though, the distant part was probably her fault. She had never tried to talk with them about anything deep whereas her adoptive parents tried to make an effort to get to know her deeper.

Instead of speaking, Sophie just nodded after Dex's confession. They eventually came back to the door that lead into the bar and strolled through it. Her and Dex both put the hoods on their sweatshirts up when they entered the bar. They followed the same course they had trekked going out of the hideout, but backwards. Eventually, the familiar painted concrete walls of the hideout came into view and Sophie headed over to where she assumed Forkle's office was.

She looked around for some sort of door, but couldn't find one. She was just about to ask a nearby person where his office was when the retched smell of dirty feet drifted up her nostrils, and a bloated figure bumped into her. Sophie's spine went rigid and her anxiety flared as she turned around.

꧁A/N꧂
That was pretty short chapter, and I might add some more to it tomorrow if I have time.

I hope you guys didn't have a super sucky day... I was mainly freaking out about the protest (more like raid) on Capital Hill (Sadly, I live in the US). I'm not gonna post a whole political rant here, though, because I just want you guys to read this story to get your mind off of this bad stuff. Just know that that was absolutely not ok.

~Penguin out ❤️✌🏻