Chapter 11

Yes, Sophie's nightmare was terrible, but she would find her purpose in life. It was just a matter of time.

Sophie got up and got dressed, remembering what Calla had told her. She was a fighter, a Moon Lily. Maybe she could fight through the struggles that life threw at her. She had more struggles than an average teen, but she was also stronger than an average teen.

She had fought through the toughest battles. She had endured more losses than anyone would be able to handle.

After Sophie got dressed she braided her hair like Calla taught her. She decided to walk to school today because she wanted to feel the ground beneath her feet. She wanted to know that Calla was still with her. She knew that Calla had been leading her because sometimes she would feel a pull in the right direction. The path that the pull took her on would always lead her on the road less traveled.

Over Sophie's long and troublesome years she had learned that the road less traveled always made you stronger. She knew she needed to grow stronger if she was going to survive the years ahead of her, so she always followed the pull.

     At that moment Sophie realized that Calla's death had led her to meet Jensi. Jensi had been the one that pulled her away from the explosion. Sophie had also felt the same pull when she met Dex, who was crying in a corner when she first glimpsed him.

Dex had just joined the Black Swan when she met him. He had gone on his first mission and had seen someone be killed firsthand. He didn't want to experience the burden that had been put on his shoulders, but he couldn't back down. He was a genius and had always been bullied his whole life, so he wanted to feel empowered. That's why he decided to make the toughest choice of his life and join the Black Swan.

A flashback of the moment that Sophie met her best friend popped into her head.

~ ~ ~

Sophie saw a small boy with strawberry-blond hair sitting in the corner crying. She knew what he must've been going through. She hadn't seen him around, so she guessed that he was new.

Suddenly she was approaching the crying boy. It felt like her feet were moving on their own. She tried to stop herself, but figured that she should comfort the boy because she knew all too well how he was feeling.

The boy still hadn't noticed Sophie when she was a foot away, so she whispered, "Hi" in a trembling voice.

He looked up and turned red. He than tried to quickly wipe away the tears streaming down his face.

"Um... Hi?" The boy squeaked out in a shaky voice as he tried to wipe the stubborn tears that kept falling from his eyes.

"Don't worry—I'm just here because it looked like you needed a friend. I know what it's like to witness murder. I've even killed people myself. I know you don't even know me, but you do need a friend. Don't even try to deny it." Sophie stated in a confident voice, for she meant every word of her short speech.

Dex said sincerely, "Thank you—I didn't think anyone would notice me. I'm glad at least one person here cares. By the way I'm Dex, and I'd love to be your friend."

"Good, and I'm Sophie," she answered. Then she walked over to Dex and wrapped him in a hug. He was surprised for a moment then he buried his head in her shoulder and let his tears fall. Dex told her all the gruesome details of what he witnessed. He told her how he found out that his mom was a part of the Black Swan and the shock that came after. He told her about all those things and more until they were forced out of the Black Swan hideout.

That day she knew she would at least have one friend. She decided at that point that she would do anything to protect Dex. She couldn't lose another friend, and she wouldn't.

~ ~ ~

After Sophie was drawn out of her flashback she realized that she had already arrived Foxfire. She cherished that flashback for a few more moments until she headed into the school. Today she would try and cherish every moment she could.

꧁A/N꧂
Ok, so, that chapter was gonna be a long chapter to make up for all of the updates that I missed, but I thought that that was a great ending. So, I will be posting 1 or 2 chapters tomorrow. I'm so close to revealing something! And the action I promised is coming soon!!! I just write mega short chapters...

I really need to work on that, but it's so hard to find a good ending and when I do it is like halfway through the word count a normal chapter should be. I promise I will try to get better at writing longer chapters. The next two should be pretty long because we got some plot coming like I said.

Also, I finally got to update!!! Woot-woot!!!!!!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

     Edit: OMG, someone Leaked art that is going to be in Unlocked and DJSJCHUEKAJXHEIAKDNDHRUEJDNFNVHJDNWJSKWHXNFJEKDJCNDMSKD.

     Here it is!

     Look at the way Keefe is looking at Sophie!!! It is so cuteeeeeeeeee!!!! And Sophie looks so determined! It looks like they are in the snow somewhere and Sophie is idk

     Look at the way Keefe is looking at Sophie!!! It is so cuteeeeeeeeee!!!! And Sophie looks so determined! It looks like they are in the snow somewhere and Sophie is idk. What do you guys think Sophie is doing?

     Also, we get to see sand or and all of his gobliny-ness!!! I really didn't imagine him like this to be honest.

     I overall love this art soooooooo much!!!!!!!!!

~Penguin out ❤️✌🏻