Chapter 10

PRE-WARNING: THERE WILL BE LOTS OF MENTIONS OF DEPRESSION/DEATH DURING THE NIGHTMARE, BUT IT IS A REALLY EMPOWERING AND INSPIRATIONAL SCENE.

When Sophie scampered into her window after Black Swan training she showered and put on her pajamas. It was later than normal when she got home because pit fighting days normally took longer than normal training. When she laid down on her bed she instantly feel asleep because it was so late. The only problem with sleeping soundly was that Sophie tended to get vivid nightmares during deep slumber.

~ ~ ~

Cackling filled Sophie's ears and she looked to see where it was coming from. She couldn't find where it was coming from. It resonated everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It chilled Sophie to the bones.

As she was looking for the cackling she saw bodies. Bodies covered the whole floor. It was everyone who had died at her hands. Everyone she'd ever killed whether she meant to or not.

Sophie saw Jensi's body within the pile and her eyes filled with unshed tears. She saw Calla's body and her heart broke. All the tears she had tried to hold in spilled out. She remembered Calla's smile and all the times she had braided Sophie's hair when she was stressing about an assignment. She remembered the soup Calla would serve all the members of the Black Swan after training. Her famous starkflower stew. Those weren't the only things Sophie remembered about her, though. She remembered the way she had sacrificed herself. She still remembered the heartbreak that had come after. Calla had been the loving mother that Sophie never had. Calla had been kind when no one else cared.

Sophie's mind flashed to Calla's sacrifice. Her sobs turned hysterical as her nightmare flipped to the day that Calla had died.

Sophie was hovering as an apparition above the heartbreaking scene.

Calla was telling everyone on the mission to run, but flashback-Sophie stayed by Calla's side. She was crying the most heartbreaking tears and Calla was trying to get her to run. She wouldn't run, though. She couldn't run from the only person who cared about her. She would rather die with Calla than live without her.

Calla was saying something. "My Moon Lily, let this loss fuel your fight. Don't let this break you, let this build you stronger. Remember, you are a Moon Lily. You are beautiful, but put up a good fight. You can survive anything, even this loss. You won't let anything break you. Eventually, I know you will find someone who will love you as much as I do. To remember me just look at the ground beneath your feet, and know that while sometimes your path may be uncertain, I will always lead you in the right direction. I will always be with you, whether I'm physically with you or spiritually with you. Let me die in peace, knowing that you saved hundreds or maybe thousands of lives. This is my destiny. I will always love you my Moon Lily." And with that she ran into the building. She ran to her doom.

Sophie fell to the ground in despair. Why did she have to go through so may losses throughout her life? Would she ever find her destiny or was her destiny to kill everyone she loved? She knew this wasn't what Calla would've wanted, but she was too weak to move. After minutes a petite boy with a round face and curly brown hair pulled her away from where she had fallen.

She struggled against his grip. She just wanted to die with Calla. Why wouldn't the world let her die like she should've a long time ago?

Suddenly an explosion came from the direction where Calla had ran to. Sophie screamed. She was gone. Calla was really gone. She had gone through with the sacrifice.

How could Calla have been so certain that this was her destiny? Would Sophie ever know what her destiny was? Would Sophie ever be remembered in the way Calla would be?

Her nightmare faded back to the mass grave that spread before her. She looked around and saw more familiar faces. She saw her biological mom and dad who had committed suicide after Amy turned 5. They had become so depressed by her departure that they couldn't stand the guilt and jumped off of the top of their apartment building. Amy had to grow up an orphan all because of Sophie.

There were so many other deaths that Sophie had caused. Only half of them were Neverseen members. Sophie wished she could go back in time and reverse every single death she caused. Even if it meant her sacrifice, she would gladly sacrifice herself every time.

The piles of bodies began to grow and Sophie was sinking. She saw Grady and Edaline. She saw Dex. She saw everyone she had ever cared for. She was drowning in the bodies of her loved ones.

Suddenly someone grabbed her waist and hoisted her out of the ever-growing pile of bodies. All of her terrifying thoughts vanished and she smiled. The mystery person hugged her and stroked her hair telling her that it was going to be okay. For once, she believed him, but in the same amount of time that he appeared, he disappeared.

~ ~ ~

Sophie woke up with a tear-stained face. She thought about her nightmare. She had never had any nightmare that made her almost feel hopeful. Maybe Calla had been right. Maybe Sophie would find someone that loved her as much as she had.

꧁A/N꧂
Omg, that was so inspirational!!! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I was literally crying as I wrote this. Sophie has finally found motivation to keep fighting. She isn't a monster, she is just human (lol) and makes mistakes. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Comment here if you totally cried during this chapter —>

~Penguin out ❤️✌🏻