Thirteen// McDonald's Run

January 21, 2015

A S P E N

I look at Calum, a baggy hoodie on his torso and baggy sweatpants on his legs. I know he's probably groggy because its late and didn't feel like changing because I didn't change either. I'm in red plaid pajama bottoms that used to be my dad's and a grey hoodie.

"You look like a fucking hobo." I laugh, insulting him within five seconds of seeing his face.

"You're wearing pajama pants. You look like an old mom." He chuckles and I shake my head at his remark.

"Let's just go." I say, my tone amused with his inability to come up with an insult that actually hurts my feelings a tiny bit. He could easily just call me fat, but he's a nice person and would never do that, by what I know.

"You look asian. Seriously asian." He sighs frustratingly and steps out into the corridor with me. I wait as he locks the door from the outside with his key and then we head out to the parking lot, me being happy that I can joke with Calum and not have him be so offended like most people.

"You're so white. You're, like blinding." He throws a boring insult at me that doesn't even hurt my feelings.

"As if I didn't know that already. Lame." I chuckle.

"Still an insult."

Once we get in my car and once I turn the key, music from the radio starts blaring loudly. Calum quickly plugs his ears, leaving me to turn the volume down. I just laugh while the annoyed boy next to me scoffs.

"Sorry. Lithium came on the radio, its a like a rule, you have to listen to Lithium at a loud volume." I chuckle.

"You nearly killed me." A glare is shot at me from his eyes and I just shrug it off. He won't be mad at me for long. We're going to go get ice cream, ice cream will cure anyone's upsetness, if upsetness is a word.

Driving to McDonald's took longer than expected, but that's probably because Calum doesn't speak to me at all, being a stubborn child stuck in an eighteen year old's body.

"I'm just going to go through the drive through, Kay? We can park somewhere and eat." I say, getting a nod in response.

If I was with Raff, I'd eat inside with him. Hell, we wouldn't be at McDonald's, we'd be at a nicer place. But, Calum's just my mate- my chummy- so I don't have to care. And since he's a boy that will eat anything, he probably doesn't care either. He probably prefers McDonald's over a fancy place anyways.

"You know what day is coming up?" He finally talks after a bit. We're already in the drive through, but I guess a lot of other people had the idea of a late night ice cream run since the line is so long.

"No, what?" I ask, letting my hands drop to my lap, having no need to steer because we're not moving.

"My birthday."

I snap my head to look at him and furrow my eyebrows together. I don't remember his birthday being so early in the year. So he's either lying or I'm just not remembering things correctly. I'm pretty sure the second thought is correct.

"For real?"

"Yeah, for real. January 25." He smiles proudly, as if turning nineteen was the biggest accomplishment ever.

"Jesus, that's in like four days! Thanks for the warning." I chuckle and push my foot a little on the gas, being able to move up a bit.

"You're very welcome." He says, his tone sarcastic.