Thirty Nine// What If

April 17, 2015

A S P E N

"What? Why would he do that?" Darcey scoffs in surprise, and I shrug in response.

Darcey and I have had a planned schedule for a skype call tonight. It's going on three hours, this call. We've been talking about absolutely nothing, and its been fantastic, but I thought I should tell her about Raff. She is my girl friend, after all.

"I guess it explains a lot. Like how he was usually so busy all the time. And when Grandma died, he was occupied with 'work'. And all those nice things at his place." I say.

"Yeah. What a sick thing to do. I mean, he can do whatever he wants with his life, but he just kept things going with you, leading you on. I swear, if I knew he was a man whore, I wouldn't have hooked you up with him." She says. I can hear the guilt in her voice, and I frown.

"It's alright. You didn't know." I say, and the heat of the conversation dies down a bit.

"What are you going to do?" She asks, and stuffs some crunchy food into her mouth. I roll my eyes and wait until she swallows to reply.

"I dunno. He's been ignoring me for like weeks now. I think maybe we're done." I lift my shoulders into a shrug again.

"Talk to him first. Never let a relationship end on a bad level, take it from me. And you also want to know his side of the story too. He might not even be a prostitute and he was just cheating."

"Well, either way it's gonna end on bad terms. I don't want to be his friend. And I don't want to be his girlfriend." I sigh, my eyes starting to water up.

It's not even the fact that I'm losing Raff that's making me sad. Yeah, Raff was sweet sometimes and he did made me smile, but all that went away when I foud out about him. What makes me sad is that everyone is disappearing. My grandma left, Darcey left, Chloe hardly talks to me anymore, I havent seen my mom since the day at the bookshop or my dad since the funeral, and now Raff is gone. It's like I'm some kind of jinx. No one can stay with me. I feel like the only person I have around is Calum.

And if he disappears along with my jinx, I swear to god my life will crumble.

"Don't cry, Aspen. He's not good for you." Darcey tries to cheer me up with her words of encouragement, but her attempt fails.

"There are people around me, Darcey, but I feel so alone." I breath out a shaky sigh, and bite back my tears before I break down again.

"Anytime you need to talk, call me. Just because I'm halfway around the world, doesnt mean I'm out of your life. I'll always be here for you okay?" She says, her voice stern like she's scolding me. But, I know she's just showing her love in a tough way, that's just who Darcey is.

"I will, I promise."

Darcey looks down at something, and then curses. My eyebrows raise at her, and she frowns, letting out a sigh.

"I have to go. This dude wants to meet up somewhere. You want me to cancel my plans and talk more?"

"No. Go out and have fun. I'll see what Calum's doing." I shrug, wiping my damp eyes.

"Okay... Tell him I said hello. And... Good luck with Raff. If I was still there, I'd chop his balls off like I promised."

I laugh, dissolving all the depressed thoughts and feelings that were running through my brain and body. She waves a little before hanging up. I shut my laptop, and text Calum to come over, which he responds with an 'okay, see ya in a bit'.

My phone vibrates once more in my hand, the text bubble popping up again, but with a name I didnt expect to see. The xontact name that hasn't texted me in at least two weeks.