Nine// Oh

January 17, 2015

C A L U M

Michael looks over at me, a confused expression on his face. I've kept on playing bass, since I know this song forwards and backwards, but I've momentarily forgotten what to sing. I don't even know why, I guess I'm just surprised to see her.

"But now, who knew? She's in the crowd of my show. Nothing to lose, she's standing right in the front row." Luke says, as my eyes are glued to Aspen.

And the tattooed arm that's around her.

The song ends, which concludes our set. We're like the opening act for the real band that's going to play. The owner of the club says that we have to 'work our way up to being the main act'. Fuckhead.

My eyes that are still on Aspen, who's now sitting at a table with the guy, catch on her bright green ones. She smiles instantly and waves and since we're no longer playing, I wave back. My band mates and I climb off the stage and into back stage, the small audience cheering for us.

"Guys, I saw someone I know in the crowd." I say, holding the neck of my bass to keep it steady.

"Yeah, Aspen right? We met her at the wedding." Luke says, putting his guitar in its case like Michael and I both are as well.

"She's with a guy." I say, scratching the back of my neck.

"Maybe it's her boyfriend." Ashton says.

"Yeah, it probably is. I don't care, though. I'm going to go say hi." I say and wave to them before walking out into the abyss of tables and people.

I walk towards the table where Aspen is sat. But then I stop. I shouldn't talk to her. We aren't that close yet for me to just go up and talk to her while she's with her (assumed) boyfriend. I turn back around and walk back to my friends.

"That was quick." Michael laughs.

"Yeah, I didn't talk to her. She's with her boyfriend, I don't want to interrupt her." I shrug.

"Well, let's go then." Ashton tells us.

A S P E N

I lay in bed, the TV on but my eyes are on the ceiling. I know Calum saw me tonight at the club. Why he didn't say hi is a mystery to me. I know it shouldn't bother as much as it does, but it sure is bothering me. He said he wanted to be friends with me again, isn't that what friends do? Say hi to each other?

I pick up my phone and unlock it, the bright screen blinding me in the darkness. Once I'm used to light, I go to messaging and type in a message directed towards Cakum.

To Cakum Hood:

I know it's late, but are yiu up?

After a few minutes of me watching TV, Cakum answers.

From Cakum Hood:

Yeah, I'm up

To Cakum Hood:

Why didn't you say hi to me ?

To Cakum Hood:

At the club

From Cakum Hood:

You were with your boyfriend and I didn't want to interrupt your date.

I chuckle at the phone. Calum's always been polite, I remember that from when we were kids. I don't remember a lot, but I remember that.

To Cakum Hood:

Hes not my bf. I've just been on a few dates with hin

From Cakum Hood:

Oh.

From Cakum Hood:

Well, hi. :)

To Cakum Hood:

Hi :)

From Cakum Hood:

We need to hang out soon. Maybe you can come over here, Im sure my nates would like to see u again

To Cakum Hood:

Will pizza be involved...

From Cakum Hood:

Of course :)

To Cakum Hood:

Deal.

From Cakum Hood:

Tomorrow night? 7?

To Cakum Hood:

Done, Cakum.

From Cakum Hood:

Jfc. See ya tomrw

To Cakum Hood:

Adios

I lock my phone again and turn off the TV so that I can go to sleep, smiling because my childhood friend is my friend again. In the present.

[an]

I have more than two hundred views and I'm happy omg