Twenty One// Forgive And Forget

February 15, 2015 (same day)

A S P E N

He saw me from the kitchen. I know he did, our eyes met... There was no hiding the fact that he lied to me about his job.

I didn't say anything to him, I didn't want to say anything to him. I was embarrassed for him. Grandma and I just walked out of the diner, her being oblivious to the fact that I didn't know Raff worked here and that I was a bit peeved.

From the diner, I drove Grandma back to the shop where she would get into her own grandma smelling car and drive home from there. I stopped the car beside hers and she got out.

"Have a nice night, sweetheart. Give Raphael my regards." She smiles, being half way bent down to talk to me through the open window.

"Oh, I will."

--

"So he lied to you..." Darcey says as she dips her hand into the bag of doritos, pulling out a handful and putting them into a bowl.

"Yeah. He said he worked at his Dad's business." I say. "But I saw him at the diner when I was with Grandma."

"Maybe the diner is his dad's business..." Chloe says. Darcey and I stare at her in disbelief. She has the nerve. "What?"

"You should see what he has in his apartment. State of the art appliances. A big ass TV. A nice stereo. No guy who goes to uni and works at a diner can afford that shit." I shake my head.

"Just talk to him about it, be communicative. Most relationships end because of lack of communication." Chloe says as she chomps on her baby carrots.

What is health? is practically my motto, while my sister's is Eat healthy and exercise daily. But that's probably why I'm the fat sister and she's the skinny one.

"I will. I just don't know what to say."

"How about 'lie to me again and my best friend will chop off your balls'?" Darcey offers. I laugh, even though that's really disturbing.

"Yeah, I'll definitely say that." I shake my head. Just as I take a spoonful of ice cream into my mouth, there's a knock at the door. My eyes widen and I dash into my room. The only people that have ever seen me in shorts (like I'm wearing now) are my parents, Chloe, and Darcey and I tend to keep it that way. I'm extremely insecure about my fat legs.

I hear faint voices from the family room. Chloe's talking to someone and I don't know who. Maybe Darcey will come into my room or something to keep me company. But, she doesn't.

Until about five minutes later when she pokes her head in the door.

"Raff's here." She bluntly says.

"Oh my gosh, what do I do? Do I just say 'yeah thanks for lying to me' or?" I stand up quickly and walk to my dresser to throw on sweatpants.

"Just talk to him, Chloe and I will be in her room." Darcey informs me and walks back out into the living room.

Once my legs have something covering them, I step out into the hallway, mentally preparing myself for what's about to happen. It shouldn't even be a big deal, I don't know the whole story. Maybe the diner is his dad's "business" like Chloe said. Maybe he has two jobs. Maybe he just likes the smell of French fries.

"Baby. Hi." Raff looks at me, his hands in his pockets awkwardly. "You didn't come talk to me at the restaurant so I figured you were mad. I just want to clear things up with you so I came and I know I didn't give you any warning but-"