Chapter 47 // "This isn't a royal family."

Chapter forty-seven; "This isn't a royal family."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

Nate, Hayden, Colton, Mom, Dad, and I were sitting at the dining table eating some take out that we bought. Since the surprise visit left us no time to cook, Hayden suggested in buying some Indian food instead.

The last time we had eaten like this was when Nate came with me back to California. Times were different then– my parents weren't mad at me or Colton. They also got along well with him, but they haven't talked at all yet. Hayden was the only one they've been acknowledging. Colton was giving them the cold shoulder and I was staying neutral.

"Nathanial," Mom spoke up, "how's your father? Have you heard from him? I'm sorry that happened to you and your mother. It must've been hard."

I gasped, "Mom–"

"We're doing okay. Our family has been talking to us again since his arrest, so my mom's been happier."

"Your family? That's nice," She picked up her wine glass, "Father's side?"

"Mother's. The Vanderbilts."

My mom almost spilled her drink all over the table before covering her mouth from her gasp. My dad coughed, having choked on his food.

"Vanderbilts? That's– that's– I had no clue," Mom cleared her throat and cleaned up some of the spilled wine.

"They don't exactly have a defining feature. So I don't blame you," Nate joked and placed his hand on my knee. He was showing his worry, but I assured him I was fine.

"That name goes back, you know?" Dad looked at both of us, "to say the least– they were the founding families of America."

"There were families already in America," I rolled my eyes.

"Modern America."

"What?"

"Their history in business goes way back than Hayward. Before Hayward was even established in West Coast."

"Your father's saying that Vanderbilt is a prestigious name with lots to carry," Mom took another drink out of her glass.

"Nate obviously knows that," I retorted, "you don't have to tell him."

"It's fine. This is the normal reaction," Nate laughed nervously and finished his plate.

"What are you doing here anyways? You didn't even come back for Thanksgiving. And I know you can't stay until Christmas. It's too long of a vacation."

"We were actually in town," Dad said and glanced at all of us, "we came from Bart Bass's funeral."

"You were invited?"