Kill or Be Killed

Forbes Residence

Liz is taking some boxes. Caroline and Grace arrive.

"Are you off today?" Caroline asks.

"The Historical Society Volunteer Picnic is today. You're the one who signed me up Caroline," Sheriff Forbes tells her.

"I know. I just assumed you'd bale," Caroline says.

"No. I'm gonna spend the whole day with my daughters," Sheriff Forbes tells them.

"You're gonna pretend to be a mother?" Grace asks.

"I'll bring my gun if it gets rough. Come on, give me one day. I've been buried in work mode, I've barely seen you both," Sheriff Forbes tells them.

"Well be warned, we're in a mood," Caroline says.

"Goody for us," Sheriff Forbes says, then asks, "What was Elena doing here so late last night?"

"Elena wasn't...yes um...Elena was here. She just needed to talk. Her and Stefan are going through a rough patch. She came before you arrived Caroline from your long walk yesterday," Grace tells them.

"Is everything okay with you?" Sheriff Forbes asks.

"I'm fine," Grace says.

"It's just lately you both seem different," Sheriff Forbes asks.

"We're not different, we're fine," Caroline says.

"I know you think I don't notice these things but I do," Sheriff Forbes tells them, then asks, "What's going on with you two?"

"You know there's pretending to be a mother and then there's reality. Let's not push our luck, okay?" Grace tells her.

Caroline and Grace leave.

Public Park

It's the Mystic Falls Historical Society Volunteer Day. Preparations are underway. Carol Lockwood is giving a speech.

"This is all part of the historical society, continuing efforts to give back to the community. Thanks to the generous donation of the Fell family. We are now standing at the sight of our newest public park. Thank you to everyone who has shown up today to lend a helping hand. Thanks," Carol tells everyone.

Later

Elena, Caroline, and Grace start talking while they walk to and start painting a veranda.

"So suddenly, she's in the running for Mother of the Year just when we're trying to avoid her the most. We're babbling, you don't want to hear all this," Caroline tells Elena.

"Oh, no, sorry," Elena says, then asks, "Then what happened?"

"Well, I was a bitch which is par for the course with us," Grace says, then asks, "So, how are things with you and Stefan? Anything?"

"No, not since the fight. He's been pushing me away because he thinks that Katherine might get jealous enough to hurt me. I just don't know how to change his mind," Elena tells them.

"You said that Katherine's dangerous. Maybe he's got a point," Caroline tells her.

"Yeah, I know that she's dangerous and I know that he's just trying to protect me but it feels like giving up and I just..." Elena begins.

"Just what?" Grace asks.

"I just thought that we were stronger than that," Elena tells them.

She looks at Stefan. He looks at her. Grace and Caroline are looking at them.