The Sacrifice

Forbes Residence

Caroline awakens from her slumber when she hears a noise coming from inside the house. Her bedroom door is slightly ajar. Caroline lays back down, turns over in her bed, and shuts her eyes. In the bathroom, a towel is rustled by movement. Jonas appears in the doorway, looking at Caroline. Caroline is jolted out of bed, once again, when she hears a door slamming loudly. She sits up in her bed. Jonas has disappeared from the bathroom. Caroline gets out of bed and slowly walks across her room. She quietly opens her ajar door and walks out onto the landing. Caroline looks around the landing for anything suspicious and quietly approaches Liz's room, looking in through her ajar door. Suddenly, Caroline hears a noise from behind her. She gasps and spins around. Matt, shirtless and in his boxers, has also been startled by Caroline's unexpected appearance on the landing. Caroline and Matt both try to catch their breath after the scare.

"Caroline. Ahem," Matt says.

Matt lowers the ice cream he's carrying towards his nether region.

"I heard something," Caroline says.

Matt chuckles nervously. Caroline avoids his gaze, embarrassed. Grace walks up the stairs, wearing Matt's shirt. She runs her hand through her hair, embarrassed as well.

"That was us. I'm sorry," Grace says.

In Caroline's bedroom, Jonas pulls out a handkerchief and collects some of Caroline's hair from her brush.

"We didn't think anyone else was up," Matt says.

"But here you are," Grace says.

"We were just-" Matt begins.

Back on the landing, Grace and Matt try to explain the situation to Caroline, but are failing in their attempt. Matt sighs and holds out the ice cream bowl to Caroline.

"Chunky Monkey?" Matt asks.

Back in Caroline's bedroom, Jonas also grabs some of Caroline's jewelry and places it in the handkerchief. He folds the handkerchief and places it in his coat pocket.

"Well..." Matt begins, chuckles, and says, "I'm naked. So I'm gonna go."

Matt walks past Caroline and into Grace's bedroom, shutting the door behind him. Caroline starts to walk back towards her room. Grace, embarrassed, walks up the remainder of the stairs.

"I'm really really sorry," Grace says.

Caroline turns around when she reaches her doorway.

"It's okay, Grace, don't worry about it," Caroline tells her.

"I know he's been staying over a lot," Grace says, and asks, "Are you- are you sure it's okay?"

"Seems like things are good. But does Liz know?"

"Things are extremely good," she says smiling, but then she has a kinda sad face, "but mom still doesn't know about it?"

"Then you should probably tell her because she'll find out eventually," Caroline says.

"I'll tell her tomorrow," Grace says.

Jonas, still in Caroline's bedroom, grabs a picture of Caroline in her cheerleading uniform, places it inside his jacket, and leaves the room quickly. Grace and Caroline smile at each other and go back to their respective rooms. Caroline gets into her bed. Jonas quietly hides in the bathroom, waiting for Caroline to shut her eyes. Caroline curls up in her blankets and drifts off to sleep. Jonas heads out of the bathroom, stopping to take a hand mirror, before he exits, placing the mirror in the waistband of his pants. He exits the bathroom, walks onto the landing, descends the stairs, and exits the house without a soul knowing he was there.