Chapter Seventy Eight: Same Conclusion

Again, sorry for the long delays. This whole lockdown/shutdown stuff is messing with my writing mojo and I'm finding it hard to get back into the story. I will try to finish this out before the end of the year, as we are headed to the climax, but we'll see how things go.

Chloe had fidgeted the entire drive to the precinct, with Lucifer remaining silent. But once they got to the station, it was all business. She all but stormed into the office area, her crutch clacking, heading straight for Ella's lab.

The whole floor was a mix of detectives, officers, and other agents, making navigating a bit interesting with the Detective's handicap. Despite this, she managed to reach Ella's lab without too much incident, mostly because Lucifer made sure the way was clear. He kept a careful eye on her, just to be safe. She'd been through a lot lately and it wouldn't do to let her overdo things.

Flinging the door open, Chloe stepped into the lab and looked around, but the person she expected to be there wasn't. She quickly turned, almost running into Lucifer. "Where's Ella?" she asked, a hint of panic in her tone. It would be just like the day to have something happen to her.

But before the panic could get too intense, Ella came around from near Chloe's desk. She paused, seeing her friend. "You're here!" she gushed, rushing over, before remembering to compose herself. "I mean you're here. Did you catch the guys behind all of this?"

Lucifer gave her a bit of a look. "Not yet," he admitted. "But, with your help, we hope to be able to do so soon."

That notion brought Ella up short and she couldn't help but look confused. "My help? As in more than just lab work help?"

"That's right," Chloe stated, recovering herself. "We're heading to Tony Stark's mansion and you're coming with us."

It was all Ella could do to contain her squeals of delight. "I can't believe I get to set foot in Iron Man's house!" But, seeing the look on Chloe's face, she quickly schooled herself. "I mean... that would be cool. Should I bring my kit?"

Lucifer and Chloe exchanged looks but the devil shrugged so Chloe nodded. "Yes, go ahead and bring it. And your most recent report. We're leaving in five minutes." With that she turned and headed to her desk.

"Are you sure you're up for this?" Lucifer asked as he followed her. "After all, you have been through quite a bit lately." He resisted touching her, not sure how she'd take it as she reached her destination and rummaged through one of the drawers.

Finding what she was looking for, Chloe shut the drawer, file folder in hand. "Do I have much of a choice?" She closed her eyes, taking a moment to breathe. "Come on. They're expecting us." She strode forward once more, heading towards the elevator.

Ella barely made to the elevator in time to enter the car as the doors closed, her evidence gathering kit over one shoulder, a folder in the other hand. "Whew, when you said five minutes, you weren't kidding," she tried to joke as the elevator rose to the ground level. "So, whose car are we taking?"

...................................

While Tony headed up the stairs from his lab, Loki held Hiro back. "I think we need to talk," he stated as the teen looked at him in confusion. "Before we join the others." Behind them, the lab door closed. The disguised man scanned Hiro's face, wondering how he was taking everything, knowing he hadn't had time to process it all.

Hiro took that opportunity lean against the glass next to the lab door, closing his eyes as he took in a deep breath. "I know. Even though Tony is trying to help us stay out of the lime light, for once, things can't stay this way."