Chapter Sixty Nine: Diversion

*please note that chapters will be closer to two weeks apart for a while as I work on other projects*

Loki was about to do something drastic when Hiro suddenly surged up from his modified prone position. He watched a bit helplessly as the teen dry-heaved on the rooftop, his body convulsing almost like he were having seizures. He reached out a hesitant hand but pulled it back, not sure if it would help or hinder whatever was happening to his young friend.

One last shudder ran through Hiro's body before his spasms stopped. From all outward appearances, the youth looked completely and utterly spent. And no wonder, after everything that had happened. Energy seemed to disperse off him like a heat haze, dissipating into the atmosphere with only the faintest of visible tells to distinguish it from normal air.

"Are you quite alright?" the god of mischief asked, looking only slightly horrified at recent events. He didn't offer to even attempt to move towards him, unsure how the gesture might be received. For the briefest of moments, Hiro's eyes reflected back a dark field of stars, much like it had after his encounter with Dirk that morning.

Hiro gave himself a good shake, like a dog shaking off water, a shiver running down the length of his skin. "Yeah," he said, his voice not entirely steady. He blinked a few times as if that could somehow reboot his brain. "Just give me a minute to process."

Baymax leaned over him, scanning to make sure everything was okay. "I recommend using some of your emergency gummy bear rations," he suggested, unable to retrieve a lollipop in his armor.

Over the radio frequency for the police, Loki caught word of more bombs going off in the expected areas, even though those areas had previously been swept. Either they were missing them as they went, or someone was coming in behind them and planting them afterwards. "Please, by all means, take whatever time you need. But I strongly suggest hurrying." His tone certainly didn't fit the wording as he looked around almost anxiously.

"It's a decoy," Hiro finally stated as he tried to stand. He had to take off one of his gauntlets to reach into the pouch added to his gear for such emergencies. A gummy bear popped into his mouth and he chewed vigorously before swallowing. "All of these bombings are an attempt to throw us off their real target."

In a way it made sense, Loki had to admit. The question remained. What were they being diverted from?

Ever steady, Baymax remained as immobile as a statue while Hiro used his arm as a ballast to stand. "Perhaps I can calculate other possible targets based off of current police activity," he offered.

The teen looked up, giving a bit of a shrug. "Couldn't hurt to try," he said before popping another gummy bear into his mouth. He still felt weak and dizzy, but the sugary candy seemed to be helping. He knew once this was all over, though, he'd need to chow down on something more substantial, and take a really long nap.

"Scanning now," Baymax announced.

Meanwhile, Loki pursed his lips as he contemplated his young charge. Despite the sugary confection, Hiro still looked off in a major way. He put one hand to his chin in thought, wondering if the teen could handle what might soon come, or if he should try and bench him. Judging from what he knew, Hiro wouldn't take too kindly to him trying to keep on the sidelines, which meant something had to change.

Deciding it would be best to ditch the guise of being Wasabi, the Asgardian returned to a more typical look with streamlined, yet stylish clothes suitable for battle. No flapping cloaks or capes, almost like he'd merely taken off the decorative outer robe he usually wore, minus the horned helmet. He'd also though to keep his usually shoulder length hair a bit more manageable in length.