Untitled Part 84

The sun barely kissed the top of the trees but not much else stirred. After letting her people go crazy the night before, some drinking, some not, she wasn't surprised. But they had things to do, a whole camp to pack up now that they'd verified the money and bank codes had successfully transferred, and that they worked. They hadn't done much with them, besides look. That could wait until they returned home.

Still not one for names, the woman they called leader strolled along the tent line, hearing a few snores. She shook her head in disgust. If they were truly going to become a terrorist organization worth mentioning, they needed better soldiers. It was embarrassing.

One of her higher ranking soldiers came up behind her, breaking a twig as he joined her. "We need a better recruitment process," he said, more than aware of her thoughts. He missed the momentary glare she shot his direction at the noisy entrance.

"We'll have better soldiers soon," she replied in a hard tone, walking with him back to the main tent.

Everywhere she looked, sleeping figures dotted the small valley they'd chosen as their base of operations. To say some were still drunk would be an understatement. How they'd managed to get their hands on so much booze behind her back was beyond her. But once she found out, heads would roll. Literally.

Though she'd given them permission to let off some steam a night or so ago, the fact that they'd continued their celebration while she'd left camp didn't leave a good taste in her mouth. Her absence was unavoidable though. The man she'd sent in to try and gather some last minute intelligence had someone hot on his trail and he had to leave what intel he'd gathered at a drop spot only he and she knew. Chances were good the man was now either dead or in jail.

Sounds of activity came from the mess tent and she quickly shifted her attention to that direction, quickly but quietly heading in that direction. Upon lifting the tent flap, however, she discovered that about half of her men were already up and eating breakfast. Well, at least some of them wouldn't need replacing, she sighed. Now if only the others would be as diligent and less inclined to drink.

......................................

Only the slightest of sounds indicated the passage of many individuals through the trees. Each group made sure to make as little sound as possible. Even the members of Big Hero 6 were able to keep things to a minimum, though Fred had the hardest time with his larger suit. But they each made it to their respective points without incident.

Hiro resisted the urge to contact his team via com link. They were likely keeping radio silence as instructed by their group leaders. Of course, once the actual operation began, that would change. He glanced around at the soldiers around him, not sure if he should actually think of them as soldiers or officers. With a shrug, he decided it didn't matter.

Off to one side, Loki perched in the form of a small bird of prey. He turned his head to glance at the antsy teen, not sure what was going on in his head. He reached out a mental tendril, asking if everything was all right. His answer was a slight nod, followed by licked lips the Asgardian saw out of the corner of his eye as he looked ahead once more.

Talons clung to the edge of Hiro's arm guard, not quite digging into the flesh beneath. The form was probably more useful than the one he'd employed earlier. In fact, he'd gone through several before deciding on his current one. Chances were good he'd change again, pending on what the battle ahead required. Either way, he'd stay as close to Hiro as possible.

Jack strode their direction, having to look up as both teen and god were already mounted on Baymax's back. He didn't say anything, however, and continued on down the line, making sure everyone was good to go.