Chapter Forty: Something Important

Honey Lemon looked up as the door to Kally's hotel room opened. She stood upon seeing Cass, accompanied by Loki. She made hushing gestures and then pointed at the bed. The others had left to find food an hour ago, leaving her to chaperone the two teens. Baymax was out of sight, keeping an eye on everyone in the room.

"Are they asleep?" Cass asked as she closed the door behind her and Loki, making sure he didn't just leave her the moment she fully entered the room. She moved towards the main part of the room, surprised to see both Hiro and Kally sacked out on one bed, Loki not too far behind her, in case she needed his help.

The chemist nodded. "They both kind of dozed off in the middle of the third movie." She indicated the television, which was currently muted. She reached for the remote and turned it off.

Loki noted that Hiro lay on one side of the bed, while Kally on the other. "Perhaps it would be best for Hiro to be moved to his own room," he mused, wondering if he had enough strength saved up to perform the task.

"I will take care of moving Hiro," Baymax spoke up as he gently slid his arms under the sleeping youth. He'd noted that Loki still wasn't quite up to par and didn't want him to overdo things. He politely moved past the god of mischief, waiting a moment for Cass to open the door connecting the adjoining room to their current one.

Honey walked around to the other side of the bed to pull the covers around Kally's inert form. She gave an almost maternal smile as she then brushed a loose strand of hair away from the teen's face.

Cass observed this from her spot near the door, waiting for Baymax to rejoin them. "They didn't give you any trouble, did they?"

But the Latino shook her head, still smiling. "Not at all. I hope you don't mind we ordered some room service. I didn't think you'd like them wandering off in search of food."

"Thank you," Cass said as Honey approached her. "Let me know what I owe you and I'll pay you back. I assume you didn't charge it to the room."

Honey shook her head. "Fred already took care of it. He probably ate the largest portion before he and GoGo headed out."

This somehow didn't surprise the café owner and she resisted the urge to let out a bit of a snort as Baymax returned, waiting patiently in the doorway. "Hiro is safely in bed," he reported. "I do not believe he will wake until morning." His report given, he turned back into the darker room, leaving the door on his side open.

Cass managed to close the door on her side, leaving enough of a sliver of space so she could hear if Hiro should call out his sleep. "Guess it's time to turn in for the night," she observed, wishing Honey a good night as the chemist left the room.

Loki escorted her to the empty bed and had her sit down. "I wasn't going to say anything while the others were here," he began, "but I really do think you should put more ice on your knees." He gently pushed the fabric up on her pant legs to show the darkened flesh. "I'm actually a little surprised Baymax didn't say anything about it."

"Thank you," Cass said, feeling a bit embarrassed but pleased. "I appreciate it, but I'll be fine. I'll take some painkillers and be good to go in the morning."

Before she could get up, Loki took it upon himself to find her a cup and fill it with water from the sink so she could take the pills. "Are you quite sure you don't wish me to get some ice for you?"

She resisted the urge to laugh at the expression on his face, feeling a giddy sense of euphoria bubbling up in her stomach. If he didn't leave soon, she'd never get to sleep. "I'll be fine," she assured him, only momentarily thinking of her nephew and his continued insistence on being okay. There was probably some irony in the moment but she brushed it aside. "You need sleep too."