Chapter Seventy Five: Countdown

After Lucifer had basically barreled down the hall like a hunting hound on a scent, Honey and Fred had felt more like those humans on the other end of the leash of a dog who is much stronger and faster than they were. By the time they'd caught up to him, one guard was unconscious and another was close to it as the devil held him by the throat, the man's feet dangling an inch or so from the ground.

Honey gasped at the change in Lucifer's eyes, which somehow made him look ten times scarier than usual. Hearing the sound, Lucifer looked her way but didn't release his grip on the man in question. "How many more of you are there?" he asked, using a tone that suggested this wasn't the first time he'd asked.

"Um..." Fred hawed, a bit uncomfortably, "this isn't exactly the way we do things." He gave the devil a pointed look, hoping the other guy on the floor really was unconscious and not dead. It was a little hard to tell.

With almost a sarcastic eye roll that translated to the slight motion of his head, Lucifer lowered the man so he wasn't dangling any more. "My friends' benevolence has saved your life," he said in a hard tone, "but, unless you tell me what I want to know, that might not matter."

Before either Lucifer, or the man he had in custody, could do anything else, Honey had programmed a chem ball and tossed it at their prisoner. Colored foam surrounded him, immobilizing him. Thankfully, none got on Lucifer, though Honey was tempted to throw a second one at the man, just in case he decided to get even more violent.

Arms now pinned to his sides, the man in question gasped as Lucifer released his hold on his neck. Unfortunately, he couldn't massage the area in question, though it was possible he'd peed his pants somewhere during the whole process. And, thanks to the tightness of Lucifer's grip, and the man's own fright, he was incapable of actually uttering anything more than a frightened squeak.

Lucifer let out a disgusted sigh and then sucker-punched the man, who went limp in his foam prison. "Utterly useless," he muttered to himself. He then gave Honey a slightly reproachful look, only slightly shocked when she didn't cower but held her ground. Seeing the expression, one Chloe would often use, he released his anger. "Shall we keep going?"

Fred flipped up his hood long enough to give Honey a look, making sure he wasn't facing any cameras that might catch his image. One never knew when those might reactivate and he didn't need that kind of heat. None of them did.

If what their briefing had projected was true, chances were good they'd already neutralized the so called second team, but there was always the possibility there were two more sweeping the building. It made sense to go in teams, and two teams were better than just one. It was better to be safe than sorry.

At a nod, the two heroes followed after the devil, hoping to keep him in better check should they encounter anyone else who shouldn't be there.

............................................

Chloe had not expected to see Tony Stark appear in her chosen area. Admittedly, he did look a bit worse for wear as he landed near her. She'd managed to make it down to the field. "Thought you were staying near the college," she quipped as he fell into step with her.

"Got it taken care of," he replied, keeping things terse. "Figured you could use a hand here since you don't have the same kind of goodies at your disposal."

There was still something that grated on her nerves when it came to that man. Maybe it was his ego, but she couldn't deny that they were spread a bit thinner than she'd care to admit. "Fine. Go scan the place or whatever it is you do," she said with a resigned air. That way it would keep him out of her hair while she looked at some of the abandoned tents they'd set up after the hotel bombing. In theory, no one else should be there, but she wasn't willing to take the chance.