Chapter Fifty Seven: Basic Understanding

For the briefest of moments, Dirk almost wished he was back at Black Wing. At least what they'd put him through there had made some semblance of sense.

The moment Lucifer Morningstar had declared he was staying the night, Maze had taken matters into her own hands. The atrocities began with a drinking competition that left Dirk reeling in giddy intoxication. And the drinks just kept coming until he violently threw up. It was a miracle he could actually remember that part.

But the worse, absolutely most horrible part of the whole event was waking up with a diaper on his head, knickers literally in a twist around his waist, and shaving cream all over. He had no idea what had happened during that duration, and prayed he wouldn't either. There was no knowing what all had happened, including losing every ounce of dignity he had. He could only hope they'd only taken advantage of his drunken, passed out state to make him think something else had gone on other than him passing out on the rug.

It was the not knowing that bothered him the most. And Lucifer wasn't awake for him to ask when he'd finally come to. He wasn't even sure what time it was, other than early morning. Of Maze, there was no sign.

Trying to restore some semblance of control, Dirk located every article of clothing he owned and cleaned himself up. No one seemed to care that he made use of the bathroom to wash off all the shaving cream, or that he had a quick shower just in case there were other things on his skin that shouldn't be there.

By the time the elevator dinged the arrival of someone to the penthouse level, Dirk was as clean as could be expected, and more awake than he had any right to be. His head still pounded from the hangover, but he'd definitely had worse side effects from other things before. He could only thank the stars it wasn't worse.

"I hope you don't mind our just barging in," Loki stated as he, Hiro, and Baymax entered the main area of the penthouse, minus any escort. "But I figured your text couldn't wait any longer." He paused as he looked around and the somewhat disheveled furniture, Dirk standing in the middle of it. "What in the world happened here?" he finished, his expression mirroring his shock.

Not sure what the Asgardian meant, Hiro peeked out around him, only to join Loki in his shock. "Looks like someone had quite a party," he hazarded. And, from the looks of things, it had gotten quite wild.

Dirk stared like a deer in headlights, until he realized who had just arrived. After the initial comments, he hemmed and hawed, more self-conscious than anything. "Well, I wouldn't know," he stated almost belligerently.

Maze smirked from behind the bar. "Wouldn't you though?" A wicked grin graced her lips as she adjusted her clothing, making Dirk turn beet red at the implication. After a few delicious moments, she dropped the act. "Actually, outside of painting you with shaving cream, it got pretty boring."

The holistic detective breathed a sigh of relief at that admission.

"What's with all the noise?" a groggy Lucifer asked as he staggered out of his bedroom, wearing a silk robe. He blinked a few times before he realized who all was there, which seemed to perk him up as if he'd had a strong cup of coffee. "Oh! I must say I'm a bit surprised to see you quite this early, but you'll get no complaints from me."

Loki rolled his eyes. He'd switched back to his usual personae, minus the usual horns and green leather outfit, the moment they'd entered the safety of Lux's building. "You did send word," he quipped. "I gathered you had something important to talk about, and since chances are good it has something to do with Hiro, I thought it best to bring him along."

Lucifer sauntered over towards the small group. "I must ask how on earth you managed to get away from that odious billionaire and all that security. I had it on good authority he wasn't about to let anyone out of his sight."