Seren nodded uncomfortably, overwhelmed by the torrent of emotions she was receiving from both Cara and her inner self. 

She suddenly smiled, seeing that she was making Seren edgy. "Well, how has this one been treating you? Do I need to tear him a new one as well?"

"Tear a new what, Mommy?" Gillie asked.

"A...new coloring page out of the book...I love coloring!" Donovan smiled. 

"I will tear you a new one!" Gillie said, squatting and digging through her bag. 

"Yes, he has been good to me," Seren answered. "It's a little crazier here than...well, there."

"Hey, we don't have sticks up our a-aaaapples here," Donovan defended, saving himself from Gillie's sharp mind.

"Well, I am glad to hear it. I'll call Derrick and let him know you are safe-"

"No," Seren said wide-eyed. "You can't do that. He told me that if he knew where I was, he would have to send someone ot come kill me because I am a rogue."

"WHAT THE CRAP!?" Cara was close to losing it. "I can't. I'm going to shift." She stomped out of the room. Gillie calmly handed her uncle a coloring page. 

"Mommy is really mad at Uncle Liam, huh?"

"Yes, Milady," he nodded solemnly. 

"He did a mean thing to Seren. I am mad at him, too," she stated with the assurity of a real princess. "You are supposed to only be nice to ladies."

Seren's heart softened a bit and warmed with joy that it hadn't all been her. It seemed only her mate believed that she was worth nothing.

"That is right," Donovan agreed.

"When you get your mate, you will make her always be happy and never tell her to go away," Gillie instructed. 

"Well, if I don't find her soon, I may just have to take Seren," he chuckled.

Seren looked at him as though he were insane. No. She was considering rejecting Liam so there was no way she was even in the mood for thinking about having another mate. She was determined that her mate would be of her choosing and who she would fall in love with. 

"I'm only joking," he grinned. 

 She huffed at him.

"It happened again, didn't it?" Daniel bent down to look at Seren's face as she tried to turn away. 

She gave him a grunt in return, one of exhaustion and reluctance to answer him. How she slept was not his business anyway- not that she had been doing much of it. In fact, she had spent half the night sitting up with a book that Cara had picked out for her, reading so that she would not fall back asleep into the realm where her mate continued to plague her. 

It had been over a week since Cara and Gillie had arrived and each night had been proving more and more difficult to sleep through. Seren had yet to be able to keep her damned mate out of her thoughts and so he had, stubbornly, taken up visiting the dream world, though it wasn't as pleasant as it sounded. 

The nightmares were hellishly real and they were chronologically progressive on top of that. The first dream she had had about Liam being in chains and battling the virus had continued into a series with her as the only member of the audience. He remained chained to that wall, becoming more and more crazed, snarling at Gloria whenever she came to tend to him, crumbling deeper within his own mind. 

"WHERE IS SHE!?" he had screamed more than once, panting. "I can't smell her here anymore."

"That's because she is gone," Gloria responded calmly, checking the fluid bags that dangled out of reach, a thin line feeding sedatives, relaxers and nutrients into the crook of his arm, but the chains were short enough that he couldn't touch it in a fit of anger.