chpt.15

"So that's it then, right?" I asked, looking up at her unreadable eyes. That's what was always strange about Vic, she only ever really displayed what she was thinking of when she wanted to. Just like now, her face would stay void of fear, anger, happiness, and sadness. She left you to wonder, yearn for a small peak at whatever was going on in her mind. This altogether amazing skill left me with a frown.

"I guess so. Do you have everything?" She asked, tapping her pen against the knuckle of her fingers. I quickly nodded, running through everything in my mind over and over again.

The surrounding park grew quite, the subtle february breeze rustled the trees, shaking off the few leaves left on the spindly branches that surrounded the park. There was an unnatural lack of dead leaves around the property, yet the somewhat bare and vulnerable atmosphere was strangely comforting. The ghost of the plants and wildlife aided in the reminder that in few months time, new youth with be sprouting alive once more. The thought twisted the corners of my mouth into a small smile.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Vic?"

"Yes." Her answer was set in place, not a single thing could change her mind from this point on.

✂︎-------------

Today was the day. The confidence that she'd held with her suddenly got washed away by a gust of fear filled wind. Today would decide her entire future. The anxiety rattled her bones, a feeling she hasn't been through since high school. She was focused on so many different things at once, she reminded herself to breath only when she felt body lose it's posture.

Running her hands through her hair with a breathless sigh, she squinted her eyes shut. Her attempts to comb through her thoughts ended with more and more tangles forming. Why does this have to be so difficult? How did she even end up like this? If she just never- forget it. Now isn't the time to waste her energy thinking about that.

Her eyes shot open upon the taste of pennies coating her tongue. She un-clenched her jaw. She failed to notice her teeth cutting into her tongue, ensuing in the unmistakable taste of blood that seeped from her mouth. Groaning at the obviously unpleasant nature of something as unsettling as your own blood, her mind was successfully distracted.

She pushed herself from her stiff stance in the middle of her room, pacing over to the balcony. She crudely forced the door open, irritation bubbling up inside of her at the resistance of the old door that she hadn't opened since her first day. The unjustified anger seeped off of her skin, the calming aura of the forest diffusing it before it could tarnish the mood of the wildlife. Birds happily chirped around her, she couldn't help but feel like they were mocking her. Another agitated sigh and she lowered herself unto the creaking wood. She fed her legs through the thin, black railing. Various dead bugs sat with her, enjoying the warm hues of the maple trees that stretched out for God knows how far. Last time she took advantage of the beautiful view, there here browning pine trees concealing the rickety old mansion.

The door creaking open didn't go unnoticed, but she found the soft, scattered pattering of rain more interesting. A single raindrop landed on her nose, her nose unconsciously twitching upon impact. Her knuckles cracked with the rhythm of Ben's footsteps, a sound that grew more familiar than her favorite song.

"Hey, what's up?" He poked his head out of the door, soon followed by the rest of his body.

She tilted her head back as far as it would go, the unusual sight of her upside down friend putting a small smile on her face. He tilted his head far to the side, trying to see her from the same angle. "Rain." Every small splash that came into contact with his ghost-ish body glitched out his form for a small second. It was just as uncomfortable to actually feel it as it was to watch it.