Chapter 66: A Relief So Great

Start from the beginning

Reality is falling into place once again.

"They will be here at ten - In fifteen minutes."

I finally let go of his hand.

Sitting up, Matteo does the same. It's then that I notice he's shirtless and in nothing but some sweats.

"Would you like me to stay with you - When she's here?" He asks.

I look out the windows opposite me, into the beautiful garden beyond the thick walls. Flowers blossom from hedges, and in the farthest distance, I can see a large body of water - A lake.

"I - No." I reply, still staring at the window outside.

He stands, once again bringing my attention back to him. He stretches his back and his eyes fall onto me. "I'll let you get ready, and send her up to you."

"Okay." I say.

And then he leaves.

I move off of the bed and drift towards my suitcase which had been placed in the corner of the room. Unzipping it, I pull out a jumper and some shorts.

Once I'm changed, I brush my teeth and fix my hair before sitting down on the edge of the bed and waiting until I hear a soft knock on the door.

"Come in." I say.

The door opens and in comes a tall, slim lady dressed in a white coat, and beneath a black dress. She carries a large bag, which I suppose holds all her doctor gear.

"Hello Mia, my name is Sofia." She says sweetly, approaching me with a hesitant caution.

I wonder if Matteo told her about my father...

"Hi." I say.

She places her bag on the bed besides me, and opens it, pulling out things. "Is it alright if I take your blood pressure?" She asks.

"Do whatever you need to do." I say numbly.

I just want her to be quick. I don't want to have to wait, I just want to know now. I want to know what my future entails.

After taking my blood pressure, she takes my temperature and then checks my heart rate. "It seems that you have an elevated heart rate and temperature..." Sofia says.

"Does that mean I could be pregnant?" I ask.

"Maybe, though they can also mean a possibility of other things." She explains. "What other symptoms have you been experiencing?"

"I feel bloated, after meals. And I've been getting sick quite a lot. I've also been experiencing fatigue." I mumble.

"Alright," Sofia mutters. "Well, I've brought along a pregnancy test, so we can rule out that possibility, if it is something else." She dives into her bag and pulls out the test, handing it to me.

I take it from her with a shaking hand.

I shuffle towards the bathroom and lock the door behind me.

This is it...

I don't hesitate before doing what I need to do, and then taking a seat in the corner of the bathroom, with the test clutched tightly in my grip. I'm shaking like a madwoman, but all I can think about is what if-

What if I am pregnant? Would I really be able to get an abortion? Would I keep the child and live a life of potential misery?

Ten minutes passes by very slowly, and with each minute, I feel myself becoming more and more terrified.

I don't want to be a mother.

I stare at the test with such an intensity, that it might just break from my glare. However instead of that - It provides me with a result.

One line.

Negative.

I'm not pregnant.

I throw the test across the room and look up at the ceiling.

Tears fall from the corners of my eyes. Tears of relief.

I stay that way for a while until I'm interrupted by a soft knock. "Mia? Is everything alright? Have you received the result yet?"

I stand and somehow manage to make it to the door, opening it. Sofia stands there, her face anxious and worried. "It's negative." I say.

She nods her head, and purses her lips. "Alright, well I've been reading over your file and I read that you suffered from Encephalitis due to a viral infection. I'll need to run a blood test, but I suspect that the infection may have returned, and caused your symptoms." She tells me.

I nod my head, and let her do the blood test.

Within half an hour, she's done and packs up her things. "I'll contact you by the end of the day about the results, and then we can go from there." Sofia says with a sweet smile.

I give her the best smile that I can, though I suspect it looks slightly pained. "Thank you." My words are genuine.

"I wish you all the best, Mia. Whatever you're going through, will pass." And with that she leaves.

I sit on the bed until I feel my legs go numb.

***

After half an hour, I decide that I'm too hungry to ignore the pains within my stomach, and so I head for my door. I notice a bowl of pasta lying on a desk, and I grab it before leaving the room.

I don't know where the kitchen is, but I follow where the hall takes me, hearing voices coming from the entryway.

The voices become louder the closer I get to the staircase, and finally when I'm at the top, I can see multiple figures down below.

It looks like five guards, though I can tell there's more that I can't see.

"We're unsure of where he came from, but the perimeter is currently being checked to ensure that no one else enters the premises." An unfamiliar voice says.

"This shouldn't have happened in the first place damnit!" A voice yells, and I instantly recognise it to be Matteo's fathers.

"Sir, I assure you, that this will not happen again, and the situation will be dealt with appropriately."

"Fuck, I always knew my sons men were hopeless but I didn't think you were this stupid!" His father yells once more. I flinch at the harshness of his tone.

I take a few more hesitant steps towards the staircase, and begin to descend, in hopes I'll be able to see a bit more of what's happening. And I do.

The men surround a figure which is hunched over, kneeling on the cold marble floor. Their blood is smeared across the surface, contrasting the clean interior. "I want him sent to the stables. I want you to find out who the fuck he is, and what he's doing on my property. Are you capable of doing that?" Matteo's father asks in a mocking tone.

"Yes sir."

I take another step down the stairs to get a better look.

Unfortunately for me, Matteo's father sees me.

"What do you want?" He snaps.

All eyes turn to me, including the prisoners.

I drop the bowl of pasta and it shatters on the floor.

Scott.

-----------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys!
Thank you for being so patient in waiting for this chapter, I hope you enjoyed it!
Random question of the day; what's your favourite song and the moment/album/artist?
I am currently obsessed with Shawn Mendes's new Album, as well as Jeremy Zucker's.
Love ya'll!
-FoggyCloudyWords