Chapter 4: The Interview

I fall to the ground and instantly try to collect myself. This is inane, there is no way that he is speaking in metaphors, is he really getting someone to chop a guys head off?

I need to leave now.

My gaze finds its way to a pair of black leather shoes standing directly in front of me. I take in a shaky breath and slowly look up at the man who looms above me, dressed in a navy suit which I know for a fact is Armani.

Then my eyes meet his face. Tanned to perfection, his almost black eyes look at me with no mercy. His chiselled jawline looks like it could cut through anything, and it looks like the gods sculpted his face.

His chest is broad, and I can tell beneath his clothing, he has a very toned muscular body.

It's moments before I realise that I am just staring at this man, while I still sit on the floor. I collect myself and stand on shaky legs, fixing my blouse and skirt. I am so dead. I don't even want this job anymore, I just want to be able to live my life.

"Did you hear anything?" The man's deep husky voice asks, though it was more of a command.

I shake my head. "No, I didn't hear anything." I say a little too eagerly. I feel like he can see straight through my lie. I need to leave. Alarm bells are going off.

"I do not appreciate when people listen in on my conversations, Miss Jones. I hope that you are aware of the repercussions if you were to disclose anything you may have heard." He threatens.

Oh god, he definitely knows i heard. He's onto me.

I feel my face flush red, having to lie to this beautiful man is terrifying. "I assure you Mr Giovanni, I did not hear anything."

The moments after my words are tense and I can feel his burning gaze roaming my body, taking in every inch of me. I feel like I am on fire, and I just want to leave right now.

"I will take your word Miss Jones." He gives a devilish grin, which melts my insides. "Please, come in, I don't have not much time."

I give him a nod and walk further into the room. His office is large, and once again looks over the best view in the whole of New York City. I stare outside looking down at all the small people below us. I don't know why, but i feel so powerful.

"Dante informed me that you speak Swedish... And Italian." I look back to Mr Giovanni and give him a curt nod, despite being utterly terrified. So he knows that if i did happen to hear in on that conversation (which i did), i would be able to understand all of it.

"Yes, i am fluent in Swedish, though my Italian is quite rusty." I say, trying to dig myself out of this hole. "I also speak, Russian, French and Mandarin."

If Mr Giovanni was impressed, he certainly didn't show it. His face is stone, and his eyes cold and unforgiving. His hair is combed back neatly, but still has a rough edge to it, making him look youthful. He looks like he could be in his mid twenties.

"Impressive." Is all he says before looking back down at his watch. Approaching me, he takes a folder from his desk and flicks through it. "And you are from Australia." He states.

I nod. He stands only inches from me, and the thick musky scent of his cologne is prominent and invades my nostrils. I breathe it in without thinking, and pray to god he doesn't notice. But a small smile creeps up upon his perfect face, revealing his perfect, pearly white teeth.

"You are a very intelligent Miss Jones, I think that you would be a valuable asset towards my team and our relations with other countries."

"Thank you." I say, accepting what I hope is a compliment.

He takes another step forward. "Unfortunately Dante did not choose the best time for this interview today, and i must be leaving now, but would you be interested in lunch so we can further discuss what your position would entail?"

Is he offering me the job?

"Yes, that sounds great." I say, trying to stop my voice from trembling at his close proximity.

From the folder he holds, he takes out some paper and hands it to me. "Here are some documents for you to read over. Go to my assistant outside and she will set up the meeting."

I give him a nod and take the papers in my hand.

Every bone in my body is stiff, and I can't seem to stop replaying his words in my head, about the head and killing a man. He wouldn't actually do something like that would he? i mean, I am well aware, especially in my family, that people do things like this, but it just doesn't seem right.

Mr Giovanni holds out his hand. "It was a pleasure meeting you Miss Jones. I hope to see you at lunch."

I take his hand. "Thank you for taking the time to talk with me Mr Giovanni." I say.

Just like Dante, he brings my hand and presses a light kiss upon it. His lips are rough, but the gesture is warm. I need to leave now.

"Please, call me Matteo. I think from here on out we will become well acquainted." His dark voice chuckles, and he continues to hold my hand leading me out of his office.

As I take a step outside I bid my farewell and continue down the hall. That's when I notice the man in a suit coming my way, and in his hand is a large box which he holds at his side.

I try to ignore all the thoughts which surface to my mind, everything is blurry, until I hear my name being called out, and I turn around. "Have a nice day Miss Jones..." Matteo says. I give him a smile, and miss the last few words he speaks, because they are too quiet.

But I didn't stay to find out.

Oooooooo, two updates in one day!!! Spicy!!!