Chapter 72: Long Live The Marino Empire

My whole world seems to come crashing down.

I stare at the woman who raised me, the only other person besides Dad who my heart belongs to.

And she stands right beside the man who I hate with a passion.

Mum looks just like the day I had seen her last - The day I left Australia.

Her long brunette hair cascades down her back, straightened and pinned back from her face with a black clip. Her face shows nothing but sadness as she stares ahead of her, at the coffin. She wipes away stray tears that fall down her cheeks with the back of her hand, and she leans into Harry as he supports her down the aisle.

It takes everything within me not to stand up and shoot that bastard right where he stands. I want to desperately scream and beat him until he begs for mercy.

This wasn't a part of the plan - Mum was never a part of the plan. She wasn't accounted for, and there's no way we are going to be able to get close enough to kill Harry without hurting my Mother in the process.

Oh gosh. This was his plan all along? Him using my mother as a shield? He's daring us to attack him while she's at his side.

This man is sick beyond words.

"Do you know who that is?" Valentino asks.

"My mother." I breathe.

Valentino mumbles colourful curse words beneath his breath and I can't help but do the same.

I look over to Angelina and Matteo, and they seem to be just as surprised as I am. Matteo's face appears confused, however he doesn't look towards me - Only ahead.

Once Harry and my mother have looked into the coffin, they retire to front row seats besides Antonio and close to Matteo and Angelina. I watch closely as Harry turns to look behind him at Angelina. His mouth turns into a wicked smirk, while his hand wraps over my mothers shoulder.

He's teasing me.

Harry says something which causes Matteo to place a hand on Angelina's thigh. He spits something back, which leaves Harry laughing.

"If everyone is seated, we would like to begin the ceremony." A loud voice says, making everyone turn silent.

I turn my focus away from the ghastly human which happens to be my brother, and try to focus on the ceremony at hand.

There's nothing I can do right now, all I can do is pay attention and give my father the respect he deserves. I will sit through this ceremony, and I will grieve for my father. Only once it is over will I take action and destroy Harry.

"Today we are gathered here for a grievous occasion - To celebrate the life of Roman Marino; A friend, husband and father..."

The priest's words lull me into a strange state where I am conscious, but no longer present. I listen as he discusses the man that my father was, but none of it is the father that I knew. I listen and watch as people stand to talk and tell the world about my Dad, but it all sounds foreign.

After an hour, I feel like I've drained myself. My body is exhausted from all the tears which I've silently shed.

It appears that I'm not the only person who's shedding tears, as I scope the guests, who also seem saddened by the passing of my father.

"Roman's family will now speak." The priest says.

My ears perk up, and I look over to Mum, expecting her to stand. However she doesn't move an inch, and rather it is Harry who stands and walks towards the podium.