Chapter 43: The Ball

I don't get the chance to process Matteo's words, as we abruptly stop at our destination, and I am quickly ushered out of the car by Dante.

My mouth falls open at the sight before me. A large mansion bigger than I could ever think possible. It is lit up by strong lights that beam up on the structure, as well as scanning over the property, like in prison movies.

It looks like a cathedral, with its large dome structure, as well as many pillars that keep it upright. It's honestly breath-taking. And the garden that it's framed by is picturesque.

Alice would love the garden.

I try to push back all thoughts of home and familiarity. I can reminisce when I've escaped. Then I'll be safe, and I'll be free to do whatever. I can find Dad and see Mum...

Oh god, Mum. How did I forget about my own mother, and the threat that had been so clearly laid before me by Matteo just a week ago? Am I really that selfish, that I would dare even entertain the idea of putting my mother in danger?

Now all thoughts of escape are beginning to drift, far, far away.

If I could get in possession of a phone, I could contact Mum, and let her now of the dangers.

That seems like a viable plan, if it works...

Matteo slips my arm into his once again, as we begin towards the large front door, guarded by many men, who don't look like they are all Matteo's. "There are other very important people at this ball, protection is required. Like I said, you don't need to worry." Matteo says, as if reading my thoughts.

I nod, though this doesn't make me any more at ease. This just makes my escape harder. There's no way I'll be able to get past all of these people without being caught.

Matteo squeezes my arm, as we enter through the doorway into a very large and beautiful entryway. Their walls are painted cream and lined with gold fringes, while from the ceiling hangs a crystal chandelier.

I look around and notice groups of people mingling about, with drinks in their hands. The sound of chatter flows through the halls, like the crackle of a fire.

Everyone is dressed highly fancy, and look like they are the wealthiest people in society. People of all nationalities gathered around to discuss business and their illegal dealings. Dad probably goes to these things often.

"Stay close to me, principessa. These people are dangerous."

I hold back a snort, and become very conscious about his skin on mine.

We saunter down the hall towards a large ballroom. And when i say there are no words to describe it, there really are. All I can say is that it looks like something out of the Great Gatsby. There's waiters running around with drinks and snacks, as well as dancers who parade around the flood, almost naked.

I wonder if they are here willingly...

"Ah Matteo, ragazzo mio! Come stai?" (Ah Matteo, my boy! How are you?) A loud masculine voice booms over the chatter of people. I turn around to see a large old man approach us, with his hands outstretched. He embraces Matteo before he can react, which thankfully disconnects us at the arm.

"Stefano, I am doing well. How are you?" Matteo's grits out with a fake expression of pleasantness across his face. Gosh, he doesn't look like he's enjoying this at all.

"Perché non parli nella tua lingua madre?" (Why don't you speak in your native language?) Stefano chuckles, holding his big round belly. He looks like he wouldn't be able to run a metre without passing out, what the hell is he doing here? "Oh, chi è questo con te?" (Oh, who is this with you?) He asks, suddenly turning his attention towards me.