№31|No New Friends, Just New Lovers

Start from the beginning

“So,” Kalypso slid into the booth with Rufus, “where are you from?”

“Newingwood Enclave,” Rufus played with strands of her auburn hair, “someone as beautiful as you must be from heaven.”

Kalypso giggled, blushing slightly. “No, no… I’m from Weybury Islet.”

“Ahh,” Rafus secretly scanned her neck for a mark, surprised to see none was there, “now how does a beautiful witch, like yourself, live in a pack filled with wolves and not have a mark? Or even a betrothal jewelry.”

Kalypso rubbed her fingers over the necklace in her pocket. “Um… yeah… it’s funny. Ironic, right?”

Salvador growled deeply, clenching the side of the bar stool.

Kalypso eyed Salvador from the corner of her eye. You gonna do anything? She groaned inwardly as she watched him stand still. Maybe I need to up the anthem.

She leaned in closer to Rufus. “So~ what kinda dragon are you?”

“Storm dragon.” Rufus replied. Kalypso crawled into his lap.

“Do you have any scales? I read in a book that dragons have scales peppered across their skin in human form.” Kalypso ran her soft fingers down his bicep, feeling the scales that laid across his skin.

Rufus rolled up his sleeves, revealing the deep blue scales on his biceps. “Wow!” Kalypso gasped a little too dramatically, “I always wanted to be with a dragon. I kinda need a change of pace from being surrounded by wolves all day.”

“Yeah,” Rufus winked at Salvador, “wolves are pretty stupid.”

Salvador growled deeply, storming out of the mess hall. Kalypso’s eyes saddened as she watched her wolf storm off. The witch sighed, scooting away from Rufus. “I’m sorry for leading you on…”

“Oh honey, if this is about the wolf, just leave him be.” Rufus lifted up her chin, stroking her cheek. “You don’t deserve to be with some ugly wolf. You deserve to be with a handsome dragon.”

“Rufus, you don’t understand… he doesn't understand…” Kalypso looked down in shame. “I thought he did… I thought he loved me…” She pulled out the necklace. “He even gave me this.”

“Wolves are stupid like that. They lead people on just for the hell of it,” Rufus wiped away her tears, “I would never do that to you.” He kissed her cheek, bringing a blush to her face. “Dragons know how to treat a woman right.”

“You do?” Kalypso cheeks flushed even more.

“Of course,” Rufus chuckled, his fingers taking the necklace out of her pocket, “did he give this to you?”

“Y-Yes…” Kalypso nodded, “he wanted to protect me during the day time… but he couldn’t pull through… he walked out like all the others.”

Rufus pulled her in close. “Didn’t I say it before, ‘wolves are stupid’.”

“Yeah,” Kalypso smiled softly, hugging him back, “wolves are stupid.”

Meanwhile, Salvador stood out on the balcony, looking down at his hands. “Why didn’t we go back?” Salvador burying his head in his hands. “That’s what mates are supposed to do, right? Go back… and fight, right?”