Chapter 7: Americans at Rest

CHAPTER II
Horseshoe Overlook

The gang got off the mountains a few weeks ago. You've all settled into Horseshoe Overlook pretty well. Mrs. Adler is still heartbroken over the loss of her dear husband.

You still dread the thought of going into the town of Valentine. John's healed a bit; enough for him to get out of bed. A few people have left the camp to see what kind of work they can find.

You now wear a leather jacket instead of your warm trench coat.

Someone lightly kicks your boot while you sleep. You open your eyes to see Dutch. You groan as you rub your eyes with your fingers.

You: Mornin', Dutch.

Dutch: Good afternoon.

You: Ah... Now I know why you're wakin' me up.

Dutch: Can't sleep all day, son.

You: Yeah, I know.

You groan as you stand up and walk out of your tent. You pick up your hat from the box next to the fire and you put it on.

Dutch: When's the last time you went into town?

You: Well, I haven't.

Dutch: That so?

You: Yeah...

You both start walking.

Dutch: What HAVE you been doin'?

You: I usually go out and do whatever I can.

Dutch: Which is?

You: Huntin', robbin' some rich folk, uh...helpin' around camp, and...well, you just woke me up from the last thing.

Dutch stops walking, so you stop too.

Dutch: All well and good, but it's time you headed into town. Come on. He says as he starts walking.

You: Now?

Dutch turns around and starts walking backwards.

Dutch: Got somewhere else to be?

He turns around and continues walking forward.

You: Well, no, but... Agh, fine.

You start walking too. You both walk over to the horses and you both mount up. You and Dutch start riding.

Dutch: Why've you been avoiding Valentine, Y/N?

You: I just...don't think I'd be welcome there is all. I don't like towns. Everyone always gives me trouble about the mask.

Dutch chuckles as you both ride out of camp.

Dutch: Don't worry. If people start askin', I'll tell them you got a screwed up face.

You: Oh, I appreciate that very much, Dutch. You say sarcastically.