Chapter 11: A Good Time

You and Arthur ride into camp. You have your bandana back on. Everyone in camp is being loud and happy.

You: Hell's this?

Arthur: Guess it's a welcome back party.

People are drinking, laughing, telling stories around the fire, and singing songs. You and Arthur and dismount and hitch your horses and you walk over to the main area, where Sean steps up on a box.

Sean: Hey, listen!

You can tell he's been drinking.

Sean: I just wanted to say...I KNOW you bastards missed me.

Sean chuckles.

Sean: Even you, Arthur. Even you.

He steps down.

Sean: I'm back home now! So everythin' goin' to be okay. Uncle Sean is back.

He continues to talk a little longer, so you and Arthur have your own conversation.

Arthur: Don't quote me on this, but...it seems like things are finally getting better for us.

You look at Arthur.

You: Holy shit...

Arthur looks at you.

Arthur: What?

You scoff.

You: Knock on wood, rub a rabbit's foot, put a mirror back together--that is a tempting fate I don't wanna be anywhere NEAR.

You and Arthur chuckle.

Dutch: Gentlemen!

You and Arthur look to the right to see Dutch walking up with a lit cigar in his hand.

Arthur: You seem in a good mood.

Dutch: I AM, son. I am. Let's have some fun. TONIGHT. Let's enjoy ourselves.

You: So this is a party?

Dutch: Maybe. Just a little one.

Dutch starts walking off.

Arthur: Great.

You sigh.

Arthur puts a cigarette in his mouth.

You: You know I ain't much of a party man.

Arthur: Oh, I know that to be an absolute fact.

He lights the cigarette.

You: Every time we celebrate somethin', it seems like  somethin' goes wrong the next day.

He takes the cigarette out of his mouth and blows a puff of smoke.

Arthur: There's a word for people that say that. What's it called, a...

You: A pessimist.

Arthur: Ah, right. You ain't very fun when you act like a pessimist.

You: Well, you ain't very fun at all.

You both chuckle. You look over to see Mrs. Adler looking out at the view over the ledge.

Arthur: Go on.

You look at Arthur.

You: What?

Arthur: Go chat up a storm with Mrs. Adler.

You: You're very annoying.

Arthur: Oh, come on. Get the woman a drink and talk.

You: When were you even under the impression that I'm even interested in havin' a relationship?

Arthur: Since you and her started exchangin' looks.

You roll your eyes.

Arthur: Go. Get the hell outta here, and be a goddamn man. He says, pushing you away.

He walks off. You sigh as you look at Sadie.

You walk over to one of the boxes with beers and pick up two. You walk over to where Sadie is and you walk up next to her.

You stick the drink out in front of her, making her slightly jump. She looks at you and then at the bottle. She takes it.

Sadie: Thank you.

You: Sure.

She takes off the cap and takes a sip. You take off the cap and drink underneath your mask.

Sadie: That can't be practical.

You: Almost.

Sadie: You just...came here to give me a drink?

You: Thought I might as well give you a drink and keep you some company. Wasn't sure if you need time to yourself or someone to talk to.

Sadie: ...I honestly don't know. There's one part of me that wants to cry without anyone seein' and...well, there's another part of me that wants a shoulder to cry on. My husband used to be that shoulder.

You: This Jake fella...he seemed like a great man.

Sadie nods as she looks down.

Sadie: Best man I ever knew...

Sadie looks at you.

Sadie: What about you?

You look at her.

You: What about me?

Sadie: You ever had someone like that for yourself?

You: Mm. There were a few women. Most of them couldn't agree with the way I lived.

Sadie: Was this before or after you joined?

You: After. There was this one girl, Jenny. We met at the jailhouse in Armadillo. Her brother was my bunk mate and she walked in and asked when he was gonna get hanged.

Sadie: Was he?

You: Nah. She was a sweet girl. She got him out. Hosea got me out a little while after. We found each other at the saloon and we started talkin'. We started seein' each other more often at her ranch. Then... Well, Dutch was plannin' on movin' further East. I told her why I had to leave, but I asked her if she wanted to come... She said "I won't be with a man who kills for money."

You sigh. You take a sip.

You: Point is...even though we hadn't been with each other for more than a few months, I thought we'd be with each other forever... Things just happen and we can't do nothin' about 'em. Life must go on.

Sadie looks at the ground.

You: You wanna...head back over or stay here?

Sadie looks at you. She looks a little ways away from you and thinks for a second. She sits on the ground and looks up at you. She pats the floor next to her.

You smile. You sit down next to her and you both look out at the view with beers in hand.