Chapter 25: What The Past Took

A/N: Okay, so I know you all want original chapters that bring new concepts to the story. This chapter will be the very first chapter that is written with original material.

32 Years Ago

A woman rides her horse through the woods swiftly. She has a baby wrapped around her front. Gunshots can be heard all around her.

Woman: Yah!

*BOOM!*

Suddenly, a canon ball lands next to them, killing their horse, and knocking the woman off. She lands on her back, with her hands covering the baby's head.

The woman's ears ring, soon fading away to the sound of her baby crying. She looks down, seeing her baby okay.

She manages to stand up and starts running with a limp. She hears the sound of fast footsteps through the woods.

She hides behind one of the trees and crouches down. The footsteps get closer, revealing Confederate soldiers. They run past her, so she stands up and keep running through the woods.

Inside a cabin, a flipped table is covering a corner of the room. Behind the table is a man with two revolvers aimed at the entrance of the cabin. Behind him are his children. The lights are off, the kids have tears in their eyes, but the father contains a stone face expression.

Suddenly, there's a slam against the door. The children whimper.

Woman: George! It's me!

The man vaults over the table and runs towards the door, holstering one of his guns. He unlocks the door and swings it open, revealing the woman and her baby.

George: Get inside, quick!

She rushes inside and the man closes the door.

Little girl: Momma!

A boy and a girl come out from behind the table and run up to the woman.

Woman: Oh, my loves!

She gets on her knees and hugs them both.

George locks the doors and checks out the window through the curtains. He walks over to the dining table and lights the lamp, lighting up the room.

He walks over to his family. His children step away from the woman.

George: How's the baby?

Woman: He's fine. She says as George helps her stand up.

George: I got him. He says, taking the baby and wrapping him around his chest with the cloth.

He checks under the cloth to see his face. He smiles

George: You been keepin' your momma safe, Y/N?

The children gather around to see the baby. The little boy notices something. George sees his expression.

George: What's the matter, Jack?

Jack points at the baby's chin. George looks at the baby, seeing cloth covering his chin, but that part of the cloth is bloody. He pulls the cloth back, revealing a gash on his chin.

George: Oh, lord. Maggie, get me my whiskey, clean the wound.

The mother, Maggie, runs towards a cabinet and opens it. While doing this, George runs over to the bathroom, using a bowl of water and soap to clean his hands. She pulls out a bottle of whiskey and runs over to Jack.

Maggie: I got 'em. She says, taking the baby and putting the whiskey down.

George runs out of the bathroom and towards the family. He grabs the bottle of whiskey and pours some of it on his finger. He sets the whiskey down and walks towards Maggie. He rubs the whiskey covered finger over the gash.