Chapter 24: The Sheep and the Goats II

A/N: Guys, the book is not finished. It's done when I make a chapter saying it's done. Alright? So next time you see the thing that says this book is completed, it's glitching. I'm not doing that. I've got a lot going on, I know I made a promise, but I can't just drop everything for this book. Let's all take a breath.

Arthur rides into Valentine. He dismounts. He heads by the farm area to see John leaning against some boxes, looking at some sheep. He walks up to John.

Arthur: So! Feelin' better? How's the scar?

John: I heal pretty fast.

Arthur: Lucky you. So you just...lazin' about or you got any leads?

John looks at Arthur.

John: I got somethin'.

He looks at the sheep.

John: You see them?

Arthur: Sure. What, you see yourself as a shepherd now?

John looks at Arthur.

John: Maybe.

He turns around and starts walking.

John: Come on.

Arthur: Well, where exactly are we goin'? He asks, following behind John.

He whistles for his horse.

John: Collect somethin'; help us get some sheep.

Arthur: You know, that attempt to seem all enigmatic and interesting, that might work for Dutch, but for you? It just makes you look stupid. He says, grabbing the reins to his horse.

John: Come along.

They start walking into town.

John: You'll see. That train job was a start, but we need more money. 'Til we can get back to Blackwater and collect.

Arthur: I'm here to tell you, we try to collect that money any time soon...it'll come with a noose.

John: I was worried you'd say that. Dutch says that we-

Arthur: Dutch says a lot. That's his gift. Sayin' things.

John: Oh, yeah? What do you mean by that?

Arthur: I was the prize pony once, now I'm the workhorse. Listen. Dutch is...but...but, well...you was at that thing in Blackwater. And we already seen Pinkertons here. New century's comin'. This life, this way? Well, we're the last, I reckon. And we ain't long for it.

John: Then that's the way it goes, I guess.

Arthur: For me, yes.

John: Alright.

Arthur: So where are we goin'?

John: Just need to pick up somethin'.

They make it to the center of the town.

John: There's a hitchin' post over there. He says, gesturing to the hitching station at the sheriff's office. Tether the horse and I'll meet you across the street.

Arthur: I already don't like where this is goin'.

Arthur leads his horse over to the hitching station and hitches it. He heads across the street to the gunsmith, where John leans against the wall by the door.

Arthur: The gun store?

John: Yep. Can you, uh, head in and pick up a sniper rifle? I'll explain later.

Arthur: Don't you wear yourself out, now.

Arthur heads in.

Gunsmith: Oh, well, hello again. How can I help you today?