Chapter 9: Blessed Are the Meek?

[With Arthur]

Arthur and Lenny are stuck in jail cells. They caused a lot last night. Lenny wakes up in his cell. He sits up. He sees Arthur in the other cell.

Lenny: Arthur, you alive? Arthur...you alive, Arthur?

Arthur: Shut up...

He groans.

Arthur: I wanna die. Where are we? He says, sitting up.

Arthur notices the bars.

Arthur: What did we do?

Lenny: I don't know.

Arthur puts his face in his hand.

Arthur: Me neither. Shit!

Sheriff: Hey, you both up?

Lenny: Barely.

Sheriff: Alright, well, some feller just came in, payed for you both. You boys are free to go.

The sheriff unlocks both cells and opens them. Arthur looks up at the sheriff.

Arthur: Who payed?

Sheriff: Some feller in all black.

Arthur: Shit... Y/N.

Arthur stands up.

Arthur: Come on, kid.

Lenny stands up and they both walk out of the cells and sheriff's office. Lenny bends over and throws up. Arthur looks away in discuss. Lenny stands up and leans on the wooden pillar.

Lenny: That what you call a "quiet drink"?

Arthur: First one was pretty quiet.

Lenny chuckles.

Lenny: Yeah, first one was pretty quiet.

[With You]

You approach Arthur and Lenny. You're sort of annoyed with Arthur.

You: Why is it EVERY time I've come to this town, I see you causin' some bullshit at the saloon?

Arthur: Pipe down, woman.

You: I've only been here twice and I've seen you drunker than Uncle for Christ's sake. Jesus, I haven't SEEN Uncle at the saloon at all.

Arthur: Oh, don't you compare me to that mole rat...

He starts looking ill. He leans his hand on the pillar and throws up on the ground.

You: You're right. Uncle can handle his booze.

Arthur spits and sits down on the steps.

You: I was wonderin' if I should've even bothered getting you both out.

Arthur: Well, good thing ya did.

Lenny: I gotta get outta here.

You: Go on. And don't let this idiot take you drinkin' again, no matter what Dutch says.

Lenny: I'll remember that.

He walks over to his hitched horse and mounts up. He rides off. You look at Arthur as you take off your bandana.

You: You about ready to get Micah?

Arthur: Oh, yeah... Forgot about that. Wouldn't our time be better well spent if we go get Sean?

You: Sean can wait.

Arthur sighs. You offer Arthur your hand and he grabs it.

You: Come on. You say as you pull Arthur to his feet.