Chapter Twenty-Six-Nica

Hello, Lovelies, 

I hope everyone is having a great day!  Thank you for reading Dirty Little Flirt!  We have four more chapters to go before the end of the book and I want to tell you how grateful I am that you took a chance on this book.  You are all wonderful.  I adore you.  I hope you enjoy this chapter.  

-XXX Amanda 

**********

I woke up alone. Frowning, I moved toward the living room, Jay's voice moving toward me in whispered tones. Asher's voice followed, low and secretive.

"You know this would be evidence but I worry you're putting yourself at risk. I don't think Nica would want that."

Jay sighed. "I know. I know that and she would be angry if she knew. I know she would."

"Not only her, man. Lena would blow a gasket if she knew what you were planning. She really can't run the risk of losing anyone else. You know what Barrett's death did to her." Asher was silent for a few moments. "But I know why you are planning this. I think I would choose the same path if Lena was the one in danger."

I stepped into the living room with my arms crossed over my chest. "What path is that?"

Jay turned toward me, his eyes wide. "I thought you were still sleeping."

"That's obvious." I shook my head. "What path, Jay?"

He shifted, his eyes finding mine. "I'll call you back, Asher."

"Good luck, man. Nica, you should really listen to him. It's a good plan. It will help keep Johnny away from you and the other ladies."

At the mention of Johnny's name, I flinched. My stomach rolled, because whatever he was planning could end badly.

Asher ended the call as Jay and I continued to stare at each other. I narrowed my eyes. "What are you planning, Jay?"

"Let me explain how I got to this decision, then I'll tell you." He ran his hand through his hair before blowing out a breath.

"We need proof that he's stalking you. That is the only effective way to keep him away from you...For you to have a normal life." He bit his bottom lip, swallowing. "If we catch him red-handed and he's arrested, he can't deny what he's been doing. No one will believe him if he does."

"And how were you going to try to catch him red-handed?" I asked, my body trembling.

"Well, if he finds out you have a boyfriend, then he'll be after him. He'll stalk him to get to you."

I shook my head as the fear of his plan sunk into me soul deep. "No...No, Jay. You can't put yourself into danger for me."

"I won't be in danger. There are other parts to the plan. There will be police here around me at all times. We just need him to make a move."

"Are you crazy? You don't know him. I do. He's been able to get past every law." Tears burned my eyes.

"In Lowell. He won't be able to do that here. That was a corrupt system. They allowed him to get away with every single thing he did. They won't do that here."

"I don't want you to do this." Panic was rising from my stomach and suddenly I wanted to throw-up.

"It's too late. It's already started. They've leaked where I will be at in four days." He met my gaze.

"That's at Lance and Becca's rehearsal dinner." My breaths were coming quickly...Too quickly.

"Well, it will be after it." He rolled his eyes.

"What if something goes wrong?" I sobbed. "W-What if he hurts you? Kills you?"

"I don't think it will go wrong." His voice was soft, trying to calm the raging storm moving through me.

"You don't know that and you should have told me." I jabbed my finger toward him. "I can't believe you did this without discussing it with me first."

"Because it would end like this." He frowned. "Your fear takes over and you won't allow me to do what someone who loves you is supposed to do."

"What's that?" I asked, narrowing my eyes as anger moved through me.

"Protect you. I'm supposed to protect you. I'm supposed to keep you safe. You need to allow me to do that."

"And I'm not supposed to protect you?" My nostrils flared but still, there was that fear there, rising up from the pit of my stomach to choke me. "By your own logic, I'm supposed to protect you too."

He pressed his lips together. I narrowed my eyes at him. "Don't tell me this has to do with male pride. Your ego is going to get you killed. I'm sorry. It's not enough of a reason to put your life at risk. I love you. I don't give a damn if keeping you safe, hurts your pride right now. What you're doing could take you away from me."

He took three long strides, standing in front of me. He grabbed my shoulders. "Don't you understand that I am doing this so you won't be taken from my life. It has nothing to do with my male ego. I am only doing this to keep you safe so I can see you every day and not worry it is the last day I'm going to see you. As much as you love me, I love you. I won't let anyone ruin that. Because of that, I promise nothing is going to happen to me."

A tear trekked down my cheek. "Don't make promises you can't keep."

"I'm not. I'm going to keep this promise. Nothing is going to happen to me but afterward, nothing is going to happen to you either. I'm positive of that."

My bottom lip trembled. "You still should have told me. Don't keep things from me."

He kissed my forehead. "I won't...Not anymore. I promise."

"I still don't want you to do this. I don't want you to face Johnny. It terrifies me."

He wrapped me in his arms. "I know it does but I need you to be brave for a little while longer. I need for you to trust me."

I raised my eyes to his, searching his soul. My bottom lip trembled as he cupped my cheeks. "Please, trust me, Nica."

Slowly, I nodded. "I do. More than anyone I've ever met. I trust you. But I don't trust Johnny. You have to be careful. Promise me, you'll be careful."

"I swear to you I will be. Everything is going to be okay after this." He pulled me against him with my ear against his chest so I could hear his heart thrumming beneath my ear. I closed my eyes, hoping that beautiful sound would never stop. I swallowed, realizing if it did, I had no reason to continue and that scared me more than anything else.