Chapter Nine-Jay

Hello, Lovelies, 

I hope everyone is having a great day!  Thank you for reading Dirty Little Flirt.  I truly appreciate all of you!  As I said before, this book has my full attention and I will be updating at least every other day until its completion.  I hope you are enjoying it so far.  

News: For those of you who read The Silver Grove Academy Series, Sparked is edited and is entered into the Wattys. For those of you who haven't read it, if you like Greek Gods and romance with your magic, you might like this series.  Also, for those of you who read The White Rose Vampire Series, I am currently editing Burned.  Thank you for your patience.  It is a long process.  Afterward, Dirty Little Secrets will be going through the same process.  

I hope you enjoy this chapter.  If you do, please consider voting or commenting.  It does help a lot more than you know.  

-XXX Amanda

**********

I narrowed my eyes at my little sister. Lena grinned as she stood in front of me with Barrett cuddled against her chest. Her blue-green eyes sparked with knowledge that made me shift uncomfortably.

"Nica will be a nice neighbor." She raised her brow. "You know that's how me and Asher started."

I narrowed my eyes further. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh...I think you know, Jay." She giggled, pushing my shoulder. "You like her and I'm all for it."

I stared at her for a few moments, "Don't tell Becca. She'll be worse than you are and I don't want to scare her."

Lena's eyes darkened as she glanced over her shoulder at the house. "Yeah. She does seem a bit skittish. I wonder what she's been through."

"A lot." I shrugged.

She gave a short laugh. "So, she told you?"

I shifted. "Yes, but I can't tell you. So, don't ask."

She shook her head. "I wasn't going to but some advice about the fairer sex, be there for her. Show her she's worth sticking around for...No matter what."

"Then, it will be happily ever after?" I laughed because Lena was living the fairytale.

She shook her head. "Asher and I weren't roses at the beginning. We went through a lot. He had to get over his commitment issues. I had to wade through the grief of Barrett's death. You know Becca and Lance had to go through their own hard times. Lance was there for her just like Asher was there for me. That's important. Don't push her away and don't let her push you away."

I frowned. Nica had been through so much it was a possibility that she would try to distance herself from me. The thought of that caused my heart to ache. She hadn't left my mind when she distanced herself from me the first time. I knew she wouldn't leave my mind now.

My eyes raised to hers. "That's good advice, Lena."

"It's the best." She rolled her eyes. "I am a woman. I know what I'm talking about. Besides, I've been through it."

"How did you and Asher start your relationship?" I asked, because neither had ever told me how they began.

She gave me a wicked grin. "I asked him for sex. He obliged...Many times."

My mouth dropped open. I had always though Asher was the one who initiated their relationship. I never thought my shy little sister would have. I gave her a sidelong glance. Maybe there were things I didn't know about her.

"I take it back. I don't want to know." I waved my hands in front of me, hoping to eliminate the conversation but I had a feeling it would stick with me forever.

She giggled again as she shook her head. "I think it's time for me to go but please remember my advice. I want to see you happy and I want to see her happy."

She kissed my cheek and turned walking to her car while cradling her son. I glanced at her face, finding a glow that had never really been there before. I took a deep breath, blowing it out, hoping that one day I would be as happy as my little sister.

**********

When I walked into the house, I found Nica standing in the middle of the living room, a smile on her face as she glanced around the room. I studied her, loving the way her skin glowed, tinting pink on her cheeks. Her hair was a halo around her face curling down her back, making me want to twist one of the curls around my finger.

She turned to me, her eyes shining and casting golden hues within the darkness that usually rested within them.

"Are you okay?" I asked, putting the box down on the table.

Her smile brightened as she nodded. "I know people won't understand but I feel safe here. I don't think I've ever had that."

I stepped closer to her, wanting to find a way for her to forget her past. The problem was there was the cop...Johnny. As long as he was still out there, Nica wasn't really safe. I had learned that when Linc came after Becca. Though she wouldn't like it, I would find a way to make sure that Johnny never bothered her again.

"You are safe here." I glanced at the door. "I happen to know you have a great neighbor."

The darkness returned to her eyes as she shook her head. "You shouldn't worry about my problems. They're mine, not yours."

Lena's advice moved through my mind. I knew she was trying to push me away. I shook my head.

"They are your problems and maybe you haven't had this before but I made them my problems too because I care about you." I took a deep breath and walked up to her, raising my hand to her cheek. She flinched, causing my heart to crack because the action showed how much she had been through. I met her eyes. "I like you, Nica. I really do. It doesn't matter if you tell me not to be there for you. I'm going to be. I won't let anything happen to you again."

She opened her mouth to speak...To protest but I pressed my lips to hers, silencing anything she was about to say.

Her resistance lasted a few seconds before her arms circled around my neck, her lips trembling beneath mine. I gripped her waist, pulling her against me. Her moan shattered my restraint as my tongue moved into her mouth, relishing that taste of cinnamon once more.

She trembled against me, breaking the kiss as she met my eyes.

"Okay," she whispered, giving into the fact that I cared for her and would protect her but also giving into so much more.

Hope flickered in her expression, but fear mingled with it and I didn't know if that fear was fear of Johnny crashing into her life or fear that he would eventually hurt me.