Chapter Five-Jay

Hello, Lovelies, 

I hope everyone is having a great day!  Thank you so much for reading Dirty Little Flirt!  I truly appreciate all of you.   I hope you are enjoying the story.  

I hope you enjoy this chapter.  If you do, please consider voting or commenting.

-XXXX Amanda

**********

Why was I so fucking nervous? I couldn't remember being this twisted up over a girl ever but there was something about Nica...Something that made me want to lean closer...To touch her...To have her near.

I parked in the parking lot of Becca's restaurant, my hands sweaty, worried she would notice. I glanced in the mirror and combed my hair back from my face and stared into eyes that usually got a bed partner for the night when needed.

I took a deep breath and opened my car door, walking with my hands in my pockets. The moment I saw her, my heart gave one large thump in my chest just like it had earlier that day.

Nica raised her head and smiled at me, her golden skin seeming to glow with an inner light. I stepped toward her, giving her a wide smile in return. She blushed but that inner light only brightened.

"Hello, beautiful." She stared shyly up at me through long dark lashes.

"Hello, Jay." She shifted, finally staring into my eyes.

She stopped, taking in my face before blinking. My grin widened as I wondered if I affected her. I hoped so.

"You ready to go?"

"Y-Yes." She picked her purse up from the shelf under the bar.

When she rounded the corner I put my hand on the small of her back. She stiffened, her eyes going wide, her cheeks heating even more.

"It's not a long drive...About ten minutes from here." She glanced up at me.

"That's perfect." She shook her head. "I have to drive forty-five minutes one way. It's a lot in gas."

We stopped at her passenger side door. I opened it for her and she sank into the seat, glancing around and inhaling softly before putting on her seatbelt. I rounded the car and got in behind the wheel, starting it and heading on our way.

She was silent for a few minutes before her beautiful honey-gold eyes landed on me. "This is different than the last time I was in this car."

I frowned, wishing that had not been the last time I had seen her. "Yeah...Much different." I frowned. "I honestly thought I would see you again after that."

She licked her full lips, nervously as her hands twisted in front of her. "I'm sorry about that. I really did want to remain in touch."

I shrugged. "It's okay. I understand. Your boyfriend probably wouldn't have like that."

"He still wouldn't." A frown had settled over her brow.

I glanced at her, confused as a warning churned in my stomach. "I thought you broke up."

"We didn't." She swallowed, shifting in the seat, seeming to struggle with how much to tell me. Fear darkened her eyes and I knew where I had seen that look before...Becca.

"Nica, are you in trouble?" I asked, before I could prevent the question from flying from my mouth.

She jerked her head toward me, her mouth slightly open as she floundered for something to say.

"You can tell me. I won't judge you. I just want to help you." I gripped the steering wheel in my hands so hard my knuckles were white, hoping she would accept my help.

"I-I know." She glanced out the window. "The truth is he was never my boyfriend."

I shook my head, the confusion muddling my brain. "But he introduced himself as your-"

"I know." She stared down at her hands, rubbing one thumb over the other, repetitively.

"Can you explain what happened?" I moved the car to the side of the road. "I'm confused."

She gave a bitter smile. "He told you that because he was jealous." She sighed, moving her hand over her forehead. "I think it's best if I tell you it all."

"That would be nice." I shook my head. "Because I don't understand why you didn't correct him."

"When I moved into the apartments, I had just been aged out of the foster system and had gotten the job at the restaurant. The first month was great but then someone broke in. I-I called the police and Johnny was the one who came."

"He's a police officer?" I blinked, trying to understand.

She nodded. "He became my friend but he wanted more. I didn't have the same feelings for him. He became hostile. He's threatened to find a way to put me in jail if I dated. He's always there. If anything happened, it would be my word against his."

Ainsley's face moved through my mind. "Has he ever-"

The words got stuck in my throat. She shook her head. "No but he's hurt me because another guy showed interest. He beat me the day he met you. And I thought-" She shook her head. "I know he's getting close to doing that. That's why I am getting out of Lowell. He has no say over what I do here. I'm just going to disappear."

"Does he know where you work?" I asked, worry twisting my gut. Becca was stalked by Linc but at least he wasn't a goddamn cop.

She shook her head. "As far as he knows, I'm still working at the restaurant I worked at before working with Becca. I've been very careful."

I nodded as I started the car. Silence blanketed the space between us. I took a deep breath as we turned down the street where I lived and where her new house would be.

"I won't let him hurt you, Nica." I took a deep breath.

"You can't be there all the time," She whispered as I pulled into the driveway of Asher's old home.

"I can be...Most of the time." She raised her head as I spoke. Her eyes took in Asher's home before settling on mine. She had only been there once but recognition flashed across her face.

"Is that...Is that your house?" She stumbled over the words. Her hand flew to her chest.

I nodded, releasing the wheel. "You'll move in tomorrow if you want it. I will be here, Nica. He won't hurt you again. I promise. All you have to do is except the help."

She straightened as she nodded. Her eyes shined with something she probably hadn't felt in a long time...Hope.

"Okay." Her voice was barely above a whisper, cracking slightly as she nodded.

"Do you have anything in your apartment, you want?" I asked, frowning.

She shook her head. "I've been putting the only things that mean something to me in a small storage space five miles from here."

"Then, don't return. You can stay in Lena's old room tonight."

She nodded. A tear fell down her golden skin beckoning me to catch it. I took a deep breath. I had saved Nica once from a madman. I had decided that I was going to save her from another.