Chapter Ten-Nica

Hello, Lovelies, 

Thank you so much for reading Dirty Little Flirt.  I hope you are enjoying it so far.  I truly appreciate you all. 

News: I am still editing Burned.  So, for those who read The White Rose Vampires, thank you for your patience. After Burned is edited.  I will be editing Dirty Little Secrets.  I hope to make it an even better story.  

I hope you like this chapter.  If you do, please consider voting or commenting.  I adore you all.

XXX Amanda

**********

Two days after moving in, I glanced around my new apartment, smiling at the memory of the kisses Jay had given me. A frown passed over my expression, casting awful doubt on everything.

He worked all day the day before, arriving home late so I didn't see him. I received a simple text saying good night and nothing else. I sighed, trying to push away the worry and disappointment as I made my way to the door to head to work.

I opened the door, jumping back with my hand to my chest. His lips widened into a grin. "I didn't think I was that ugly in the morning."

"Y-Your not." My cheeks heated as I stammered over the words.

He chuckled as he moved closer. "I didn't mean to scare you but I couldn't resist the urge to see you this morning. I was hoping we could see each other tonight after you got off work. Maybe we could go out on a date."

I chewed my bottom lip as my fear returned. What if we ran into Johnny? A shiver ran down my spine. Jay's eyes narrowed, taking in my face.

"If you are worried about going out, we can stay in and watch a movie. I'll order food."

I sighed in relief. "That would be great."

He tilted his head as he studied me. "You know I won't let him hurt you. It doesn't matter where we are. I will protect you, Nica."

"I don't want you to have to. It's one of my greatest fears. He's not just any man. He's a cop. The police will believe him before they believe you." I swallowed, because I had seen it. When Johnny first began to terrorize me, I tried to get help. He painted me as a drug addicted troubled woman with a vendetta against him. They believed him, not me. I could only imagine what he would do to Jay.

Jay's expression darkened. "There are ways to take down police officers."

I shook my head, because I couldn't see any of those ways. I could only hope I had was to stay low and hope he couldn't find the places I was hiding. Jay reached forward and caressed my cheek.

"We'll stay in tonight." His lips pressed against mine. When he pulled away, his eyes shined in the sunlight, all of the darkness gone. "Get to work. I wouldn't want to make you late."

I smiled and made my way out to my car. As I drove to work, my mind stayed on spending time with Jay, hoping that could cast away all the pain from my past...At least for a little while.

**********

It was busy in the restaurant, the people who were becoming regulars blending with new faces. At the end of the night, Becca glanced around proudly, her face lighting up as she faced me and Carina.

"I wanted to talk to you both." Her blue eyes landed on us with that same happy smile. My heart clenched wanting that happiness. "You both have been there for me through so much. Lance and I are getting married in a few months and I wanted to ask you both if you would do the honor of being my bridesmaids."

"I would love to," Carina answered, immediately.

My mind moved to the possibility of Johnny showing up and ruining it all. Becca's eyes moved to mine. "You were there with me that night. We both faced death. Though Lena is my matron of honor, I would like you to be my maiden of honor to remind me that life gets better and whatever horrible things you go through, it gets better."

Tears burned my eyes, the hope shining from hers infecting me as I nodded. I didn't give myself time to think before I nodded. "I-I would be honored."

Becca stepped toward me and gave me a hug. "I promise I won't be a bridezilla. I can't promise Lance won't be a groomzilla though. He wants everything perfect."

I chuckled at the thought of Lance arguing with the florist and cake decorators as she backed away from me.

"If he wants everything perfect, he shouldn't invite his brother." Carina rolled her eyes.

"Gideon isn't bad," Becca defended him. "He's actually very sweet."

"Whatever." Carina shook her head, causing the ends of her brown ponytail to hit her in the face.

"I better get home," I chuckled as I made my way to the door, waving at them over my shoulder.

As I made my way home, I smiled, willing myself to relax. The drive was quick. As I got out of the car, my notifications sounded.

Jay: Welcome home, beautiful. Get a shower and come to my place.

Me: I'll be there soon.

Jay: Hurry. I missed you.

I smiled at the message and went inside, showering and shaving before dressing in my best jeans and a blue and red striped crop top, leaving my hair down to curl down my back.

Before I could knock, Jay opened the door. My eyes widened as I took in the table, decorated the same as a restaurant. I blinked, taking in the beef wellington on the plates...My favorite.

"I didn't want to kill you with my cooking, so I ordered the meal that Carina said you order most from Becca."

My heart clenched as he handed me a single red rose. Tears sprang to my eyes as he pressed his lips to mine as I realized how much he had done to make this night special even if we were staying in.

He pulled away and led me to the table, pulling my chair out for me before taking his place.

"This is beautiful," I said, glancing across the table, watching the candlelight flicker across his face. "Thank you. This is already the best date, I've ever had."

He frowned. "No one has done anything like this for you?"

I shook my head. "But I haven't really been out on a lot of dates. When I aged out of foster care, I moved into my apartment. All the dates I had been on before was while I lived with my foster family."

He took a bite of his food, chewing it while his eyes darkened. "That must have been hard to be alone."

I shook my head. "I've always been alone, so I was used to it."

His eyes met mine, peering at me in the way that made me feel as if he were searching my soul. "I don't think anyone gets used to being alone." He shrugged. "It doesn't matter now. You aren't alone now. You have friends and you have me."

"You're my friend too," I smirked.

He leaned toward me, "Oh, Nica. I want to be much more than your friend."

My heart galloped in my chest, mesmerized by his eyes...by his words. I swallowed, realizing I wanted him more than friendship. I wanted him more than anything.