Chapter Twenty-Seven-Jay

Hello, Lovelies,

It's nice to be back!  I've missed you!  I want to thank you for reading this book as well as for your patience while my technical issues were fixed.  We have about three more chapters of this book left!  For those who have been asking, yes, there will be one more book to this series.   The other question I was asked: Am I writing more romance books?  I am and I have.  All of my books fall within the romance genre.  Some are paranormal but I also have contemporary romance.  I hope you'll check them out.  Also, Sparked is edited.  I am now editing Burned and after that, I will be editing Dirty Little Secrets.

We have about three chapters left of this book.  I hope you enjoy this chapter.  If you do, please let me know by voting or commenting.  

-AmandaXXX

**********

I drove toward the church where Lance and Becca would be married, chewing on my bottom lip. Nica would already be there with Asher always close by to make sure that Johnny would never have a chance to get close. She would be arriving at the rehearsal party with Asher and Lena afterward.

I swallowed as I went over the plan in my mind again and again, knowing there was no room for a mistake. I chewed on my bottom lip as my phone rang. Nica...

I glanced at the screen, taking in her name before answering. Her voice flowed over the line, calming me and making me more determined to keep her safe.

"Jay, are you on the way to the church?" The timidity in her voice caused my heart to ache.

"I'm almost there, baby."

A sigh echoed through the line. I could sense her fear within it even before she spoke. "I'm worried."

"It won't happen yet." I swallowed. "I will let you know when it does."

The silence stretched for a few moments. "I'm still not sure I want you to do this. I don't want you hurt."

"I won't be. You'll have to trust me, Nica." That soft sigh echoed through the line once more.

"I do. It's Johnny I don't trust." She paused for a moment but then, I heard a sob shaking with all the fear and worry she was trying to keep contained. "Just promise me you won't get hurt. Promise me that you'll stay safe."

"I promise but keep your distance from me tonight. I don't want you anywhere near this. I want your fears to be over with tonight."

"I'll keep my distance." Her words were still broken with tears. "I love you, Jay."

"I love you too." The line went dead as I tightened my grip on the steering wheel. I hated that I may have lied to her. There was no way to know if I would get out of this unscathed, especially with an unhinged asshole like Johnny as an aggressor. I continued to drive determined to end this. In the end, I could only hope this worked out the way I wanted it to.

**********

After the rehearsal, I drove behind Asher and Lena to the restaurant. As we got out of the car, Asher made his way to me, his eyes dark and grim.

"Lena knows everything now. We've kept Becca in the dark for obvious reasons. She can kick Lance's ass for that later. We have the police around though most wouldn't know it because Lance invited most of them before this situation came to light. I guess this is the one good thing about Lance wanting a huge wedding and inviting every single person he's ever met." Asher shook his head, sighing. "When we get inside, go straight to the men's restroom and we'll put a wire on you."

I nodded, my stomach twisting in knots. "Once that's on, let Nica know that I'm wired so she won't worry so much."

He raised a brow at me. "Man, she's going to be worried anyway." Asher swiped a hand across his forehead. "This is crazy, but I understand why you're doing it. I would do the same if Lena was in danger."

I smiled, knowing that if anything did happen to me, Asher would be there for my sister. "I know you would. That's good because if you didn't, I would have to kick your ass."

"Lena's happy you found someone. She is as worried as Nica."

I frowned as I thought of Barrett's death and how it had affected her. My death would be much worse. No matter what, I had to live. "Lena worried is never a good thing." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I had to keep my mind from going there. I couldn't let my worry distract me. I opened my eyes to face Asher. "Make sure to keep them with you until this is all over. I don't want Lena interfering. You know she's already thinking of it."

"They are being watched. I promise. I'll be with them the whole time. You know I will protect them." Asher smiled as he pointed toward the restaurant. "I'll walk with you."

I nodded, giving him a weak smile. "Thanks, man."

He glanced at me, his eyes roaming over my face. "Can I ask you something?" Asher raised a brow as we walked toward the restaurant.

"Anything."

"How close are you to Nica?" He tilted his head as he studied me. "I think I know...I just want to hear it from you."

"You know how you feel about Lena?" I asked.

"She's my world." Asher smiled, his eyes softening. "Honestly, she saved me from myself. I don't know where I would be without her. It's actually scary to think about."

"That's exactly how I feel about Nica." My heart thumped against my chest simply saying her name.

Asher stopped walking, a grin sliding over his face. "Do I hear wedding bells in the future?"

I frowned. "After everything she's been through, I don't know how she feels about marriage. I will say, I am willing to do anything that makes her happy. If she ever wants to marry me, I'll walk down that aisle but if she doesn't like the idea of marriage, I'll be with her without that piece of paper."

Asher chuckled. "I guess I would have felt the same way if Lena wouldn't have wanted to marry me."

I rolled my eyes. "We both know you would have thrown her over your shoulder and brought her down that aisle. I've heard the stories from Lance, Asher."

He swiped his hand over his face. "I would kill him for telling you that if it wouldn't destroy Becca."

I shook my head. "No, you wouldn't."

I sighed. "You're right. For some reason, I love the asshole. He grows on you like mold."

We started to walk again. "I could say the same for you."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "I'm going to ignore that you said that. After all, we have other things to worry about."

I nodded as we walked into the restaurant. I moved toward the bathroom, stopping in front of the door. Asher's face dropped all hints of amusement as he faced me.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" He asked, his eyes darkening.

I straightened, raising my chin as Nica's face filled my mind. "I'm ready."

I stepped through the bathroom door, knowing that no matter what happened tonight, Nica would be free to live her life without fear. That meant more to me than any pain that I would endure. That meant more to me than my own life.