Chapter Sixteen-Nica

Hello, Lovelies, 

I hope everyone is having a great day!  Thank you so much for reading Dirty Little Flirt!  I am so grateful to all of you.  I will be updating again on Wednesday.  

News: I am still in the process of editing Burned.  I will then editing Dirty Little Secrets.  This is the whole reason for the change in schedule.  I need to get these books edited.  So far, Sparked is the only one that has gone through editing.

I hope you enjoy this chapter.  If you do, please consider voting and commenting.  At this stage, those things help me immensely.  It lets me know I'm on the right track.  

-XXXX Amanda 

**********

Jay took me to see Mrs. Caldwell at Lance's mother's house the next day. It was a beautiful two story house with a balcony that stretched the full length of the top floor. An array of flowers decorated the flower beds. This place exuded peace.

A woman with styled blonde hair and bright eyes opened the door. She exuded elegance but I could see the resemblance between her and Lance. Her smile was warm as she moved toward Jay and hugged him.

"It's been a while, Jay." She grinned before turning to me, her eyes darkening as they swept over me. "You must be Nica. You're so pretty."

She cupped both of my shoulders her eyes conveying a message I didn't understand. "My name is Anne. Mrs. Caldwell is inside. She's been pleasant company."

"She's always been very nice. It's nice to meet you Anne." I smiled, comfortable with Anne in a way I didn't understand.

"She's wonderful." She released me and motioned toward the door. "She's inside. Lunch is set out. I hope you don't mind."

"I don't." I smiled as I stepped into the house, surprised at how comfortable and filled with light it was.

She motioned toward a door. "The dining room is just through here."

As I stepped into the room, Mrs. Caldwell's green eyes met mine. Her gray hair was swept back from her face in her usual ponytail. Her hand flew to her lips, her fingertips pressing into them.

"I was so scared something had happened to you." She sighed as she rose from her chair and stood in front of me.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't tell you." Tears filled my eyes. "I hope he didn't hurt you."

"Not physically but he threatened me. But it looks like I got him. I installed those cameras outside my door. They were able to show plenty of what he's done."

I glanced at Jay. "He told me about the cameras but I didn't really know what was captured."

"The screams. The times he hit you or forced you into your apartment. The day he found you missing. He broke a lot of things in there and when he came to threaten me. It's all on there...Not that the police there helped with any of it. It sounds like other people will though."

"I hope so." I bit my bottom lip.

"They will." Anne smirked. "My son is wonderful at convincing people."

"It's that boyish smile." Mrs. Caldwell chuckled. "He's not hard on the eyes either."

Jay chuckled. "Don't tell Lance that. Between Becca and my sister's nickname, his ego is already inflated to the size of a hot air balloon."

Anne tilted her head. "Lena calls him the fun, beautiful one, correct?"

"Much to Asher's dismay." Jay laughed.

Anne smiled. "Well, let's sit down and fill our stomachs while we talk."

We took our seats around the large oak table as a woman came in the room with plates filled with pasta and garlic bread.

"Thank you, Agnes." Anne said politely. The lady sauntered away as Anne turned back to me. "Lance has told me some of what has happened to you."

Her brow went up as she pierced me with her stare. "Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed. Don't give him that power. I gave that power at one time and it wasn't worth it. I lost my sons when they were teenagers. I lost my freedom and almost lost my life for fear. I promise the fear isn't worth it."

I frowned. "I-I'm sorry. I don't know your story. Lance never told me."

"Becca didn't either, I assume." She glanced down at her plate, pursing her lips. "Lance and Gideon's biological father was a man of wealth. He charmed me but it wasn't long after the boys were born that his true colors came to light. He began to beat me. Gideon and Lance were stronger than I was. They left with my father and my fear prevented me from going with them. My ex husband was a powerful man. I was afraid he would ruin me but I was also afraid he would ruin anyone who helped me."

"What gave you the strength to leave?" I asked as she raised her eyes to mine.

"After my son's left, I was depressed. I even considered taking my own life but then, I fell in love. He wanted to help me gain back everything I lost. I did pack my bags but my ex beat me and stabbed me and almost took my life. When I was lying in the hospital with my sons at my side and Becca as well as the man I love, I couldn't make myself regret leaving."

"You went through a lot of pain," I said, my eyes wide.

"I did...But it was worth it." She reached across the table and grabbed my hand. "I have my sons back and will have a beautiful daughter in law soon. I also have a man who treats me exactly the way I was always supposed to be treated."

"What about your ex? Aren't you still afraid of him?" I asked, my eyes wide.

"Do not mistake Lance's pretty face for timidity. Lance can be diabolical when it comes to protecting those he loves." Her eyes moved to Jay. "I know the man beside you can be also. Don't ever underestimate a man's desire to defend those he loves."

I glanced at Lance, my heart warming as I nodded. I had no doubt that Jay would defend me. I turned back to the woman before me, my bottom lip trembling.

"You have so much courage," I said, worried because that was something I feared I lacked.

Her hand tightened on mine as a smile slid over her face. "I won't pretend it's easy to have that amount of courage. I won't pretend that you may not be hurt or anyone else won't be hurt but I promise, everyone here and everyone who is helping you and a couple of people who don't even know what you're going through feel you are worth it. We just ask you to knock down those walls of fear and fight. You've got to fight, Nica. The question is, are you willing to do it no matter what happens?"

I straightened my spine. Something about Anne made the fear crumble because if she was able to get through a man who hurt her, I realized I could get through anything. I could take down Johnny and everyone who stood behind him.