Chapter 10: Alphard

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND ALPHARD. IS TIME YOU MARRY. DO YOU WANT TO GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK?" Irma said to Alphard in one of his visits to his parents house. 

Alphard rolled his eyes. This was a thing of every day. Not only from his mother but also his brother Cygnus. He was so bloody tired of giving explanations. Alphard just simply didn't want to get married, less have kids. 

"I told you mother. Is not my inmediate wish to marry" 

"But what am I supposed to do?" Irma said frustrated "I want to see you well married, happy. I would love to have grandchildren" 

"I think you have plenty grandchildren mother" Alphard said. It was true. Cygnus had three girls and Walburga had Sirius and Regulus. Alphard often visit them, so he had to deal with children quite often. 

"Not from you Alphard" Irma protested "I don't understand what you do all day. Mmm?" 

"I'm a responsible adult now" 

"You don't want to be a dissapointment to this family, do you?" 

Alphard didn't answer.

"Your father and I are really worried you might like be a bit awry, sick..."

"What's that's supposed to mean?" Alphard interrupted "Do you think I'm a homosexual?" 

Alphard started laughing. Not because it wasn't true. He kind of was, he reckon. But because Irma's reaction was as if he had a contegious desease or something. 

"It's not funny Alphard" Irma said. Then she whispered so her husband won't hear "Tell me you are not one of those faggots..." 

Alphard considered telling her yes. Just to annoy her. Sometimes Alphard wished he could yell what he felt. That he didn't agree with the discrimination his family had with muggleborns, that he had friends like that. That Ranjit was muggleborn and he was the best person he've met. But Alphard didn't. He was too afraid of what his family might do to him. 

"Don't worry mother" he lied "I'm perfectly normal" 

Irma sighed relieved. 

"I just haven't got the time to meet any women" he lied again 

"I would be pleased to introduce you some" 

"That would be lovely mother"

At the end of the day, Alphard was not brave. He was a sneaky little lier and he didn't want to stop being one. 

                                 (..........)

Alphard knew he was one of the main topics in Black Family gatherings. Irma and Pollux often justify his wife absence saying he was too busy, he was too shy, that he had dated lots of witches but he wasn't lucky with any of them, they turning up to be "too common" as his mother put it. 

Alphard used his money to treat himself with parties, drugs, and lovers. Nobody knew about his secret life. 

When he was with his family he pretended to be a good well behaved pureblood but he often frecuented with muggles, muggleborns and half-bloods. 

Until one day in 1967 when Cygnus came for one of his regular visits. More like try to control his brother's life. The visit was unexpected. Alphard had one of his wild parties the night before. When Cygnus arrived, he bearly had time to clean up. Thank Merlin he was a wizard. 

"Good morning Alphard" Cygnus entered through the door. The more time passed, the more Cygnus reminded Alphard of his father. The same hair, the same mustache, the same expression of disgust.