Chapter Two: Baby Steps

The band of pro-heroes loomed over (Y/n) as she tended to Lugia's wounds, though she paid them no mind. Lugia is justifiably apprehensive, shifting a hardened glare between the people and pokémon that surround them. The healing process was quiet for the most part as the young Top Ranger made the effort to gradually sooth the creature's wary attitude by giving tentative strokes along the areas they had applied the medicine. Words of affirmation supplemented this; whispered apologies and thanks for their patience helped tremendously as the creature slowly but surely relaxed. With their body no longer tense, it became easier to get the job done.

"You really gave us a scare..." (Y/n)'s words shift Lugia's attention and it cranes their neck to closely view the teen. The ranger momentarily pauses, their (e/c) eyes stare into the deep onyx orbs of the pokémon. "I arrive here and am met with an absolute mess; buildings destroyed, glass everywhere." The pokémon huffs at her reprimanding tone and (Y/n) sighs.

"I understand that you're lost...that you're afraid. Otherwise you wouldn't be here. You'd be in the ocean where you belong..." Breaking their eye contact, she resumes the task at hand. "Though I guess it doesn't really help when you're being tugged by strange people, eh?" The subtle jab did not go unnoticed, but the four heroes said nothing.

"But what else were they supposed to do? Seeing a large creature such as yourself flying around their homes is rather unsettling, don't you think?" Lugia responds with a squeaky screech and everyone jolts at how loud the sound is. To the untrained ear it sounds like an incoherent noise but (Y/n) classifies it as a whine—a rather childish one at that. She ponders on this for a second. From what she can recall of Lugia, were their cries usually this high pitched?

She gasps before looking back at the creature.

"Wow. You're a big baby..." The young Lugia gives out another squeak. (Y/n) sighs once more. If they had been a full-fledged adult, the damage would be exponentially worse. The Top Ranger couldn't help but to feel relieved, yet there remained to be an underlying terror in spite of it all. Her skill with Pokémon could only get her so far. Even though she had a reliable team by her side, it wasn't out of the question to be accompanied by other Rangers who were complete with their own teams, especially in the presence of legendary pokémon. Multiple factors worked in her favor to quickly subdue Lugia, so she could only imagine how it'd be if this were not the case.

Regardless, the job is done. Tentatively reaching out her hand, (Y/n) rubs the large pokémon underneath their jaw, to which the creature graciously allows. Then, she moves to grab some berries to offer of which they eat immediately.

"Alright. You're all set," the young Ranger gives a reassuring pat before stepping back to make room. The young Lugia lifts itself to stand.

"I can only guess where you ended up after being taken from your home...so how's about getting a new one?" The pokémon screeches happily and the wind shifts as Lugia lifts themselves back into the air.

"I happen to know of a beautiful beach that's some distance away from here. The sea view is so vast, and the water is as blue as can be. It'd be best to enter from there." (Y/n) points in the direction of Takoba, the legendary pokémon flies further into the air. Their gaze remains on (Y/n) until they reach the skyline, and in a moment they're gone. The atmosphere seems to settle, and a brief moment of silence encapsulates the area.

"Judging by how well you worked with the Lugia creature, you've made it clear about knowing what these quirked animals are." The teen tenses before looking to the pro-heroes. It was Gang Orca that had spoken. She nods.

"Pokémon."

"Huh?"

"Where I'm from, these 'quirked creatures' are called Pokémon—a shortened term for pocket monsters'." (Y/n) was given either blank or mildly confused looks. She sighs for the umpteenth time tonight. This was going to take forever to explain.

"Alright, kiddo! It's time to rise and shine!" (Y/n) was roused by loud words and chilly air. Feeling the blankets being pulled from over her body, she groans and resorts to curling in on herself.

"Five more minutes," the teen mumbles though Kayama does not tolerate the request.

(Y/n) jolts as she's abruptly lifted from the bed she rested on.

"Ok, ok! I'm up..."

"You've got a long day ahead of you, kiddo. Wash and get ready. We're leaving in 30."

Once the girl's feet touch the floor, they wait for the woman to exit the room before looking to Honchkrow. The pokémon was perched on the headboard, his steely eyes following the woman until she's out of sight. Unlike Carracosta and Raichu, the black avian refused to be returned to his ball. Despite her plea to be more cooperative, it was clear that his decision was final. Even if she did manage to reel him in, he'd break out anyway.

Honchkrow hops off the headboard and lands on the mattress where he'd previously sat before the R-Rated Hero had stepped in. The bird has been on edge ever since (Y/n) was relegated to this secluded dorm. It was already super late when Lugia was sent away. The threat was dismissed, and the pro-heroes had to prioritize the general public. They split off from Midnight as she resumed the task of dealing with the girl's predicament. One extensive phone-call and nerve-wracking car ride later, they arrive at a location that appeared reminiscent of a college campus. She was led into one of many brick buildings and is given a room. Nothing much was said apart from being told to get some sleep. (Y/n) could only guess what events would await her once she leaves.

The young ranger gives her companion an affectionate pat on the back and moves to enter the bathroom. The teen takes note of the spare clothes that hang from the towel bar and takes a quick shower before putting them on. With the provided toothbrush and cleanser that lay on the pristine sink, (Y/n) thoroughly brushes her teeth and wipes her face. Exiting with a few minutes to spare, (Y/n) completes her casual white tee and black pant outfit with her red ranger cap—the only clothing item that wasn't soaked. Striking a boastful pose, she attempts to clear the tension if only a little bit.

"How do I look?"

The bird's expression is as dry as ever, but he does give the tiniest nod of the head.

"That's the spirit!" Honchkrow rolls their eyes and (Y/n) responds by giving them a playful side-eye.

Unfortunately, the pokémon's rigidity returns as Midnight re-enters the room. Turning to face the lady, she notices the look of satisfaction on her face.

"Much better. You were looking a little rough..."

"Gee, thanks." Honchkrow flies from the bed and lands next to his trainer. Kayama regards the creature briefly before returning her focus on (Y/n).

"How are you feeling?" The teen's eyebrows furrow. That's a rather odd question to ask.

"Weird." Midnight nods.

"That's understandable. This is all new to you. I'm sure you won't feel that way once you've grown accustomed."

(Y/n)'s lips press into a line.

"These pokémon you speak of—their newfound lives here are a drastic change that the world is dealing with, and you're the only known person who is knowledgeable of them. That alone is reason enough to have you here."

(Y/n) nods not knowing how to respond.

"I've spoken to my superiors and keeping you in UA's close quarters is the best plan of action. So for the time being, please bear with us."

(Y/n) head tilts showing her mild confusion. UA? Is that where they are? And why were they apologizing? None of what has happened is their fault.

"Uh...Sure," she answers awkwardly. "I'm just along for the ride at this point. Thanks for giving me a place to live...and I'm sure I'll come around eventually."

Giving a smile, Midnight signals for (Y/n) to follow her.

"Where are we going."

"To the principal's office."