Chapter Eight, Part Three: Thorns in a Monster House

The match between Chandelure and Grimmsnarl was a grueling one. With the strongest factor gone, they had gained renewed determination. Regardless, the fight often ended in dodged attacks and vice versa. Both parties were beginning to not only grow frustrated, but also impatient.

"Uh, oh. They're starting to get a little sloppy..." Rotom says, and Midnight calls out to them.

"Stay strong, alright! We've gotta come out on top!" She gives a once-over to the list of move commands but before she can command either pokémon they continued to fight on their own.

Before Grimmsnarl can throw a punch, Honchkrow throws one of his own. The Sucker Punch causes his adversary to recoil, though they quickly regain composure. The dark/fairy-type unfurls his thick tendrils of hair and speedily extends them outward capturing Honchkrow by the foot and forcefully bringing him down from the air. Carracosta lurches forward to help his ally with a hefty Crunch. Grimmsnarl pulls back avoiding the snap of his jaw, yet Chandelure takes advantage of the closer proximity their foes were currently in. He jumps in and shoots out a large Shadow Ball. The attack effectively hits them both as the energy explodes upon impact.

Kamui voices his mild irritation alongside Midnight's worried one. After a moment, the air settles with Carracosta and Honchkrow still standing. Despite being unprotected, they remained resilient—bearing the damage all the while acting like what transpired was merely an inconvenience. With a sigh of relief, Midnight hums curiously, impressed at the display.

"It looks like they can hold their own."

"Of course they can," Rotom says boastfully. "That doesn't mean additional guidance isn't needed, however."

The pokémon had since resumed fighting. With the wave of his wings, the Big Boss Pokémon gathers a menacing energy within him and lets it loose in shockwaves. Chandelure takes the blunt of the Dark Pulse and to add insult to injury, he flinches at the intensity. The delay leaves the ghost/fire-type open for another attack and Carracosta seizes the opportunity. Stamping a heavy foot on the hardwood, he summons large rocks with rather archaic depictions on them and chucks the sediment out. Chandelure is hit without error as Honchkrow holds off Grimmsnarl. The Luring Pokémon falls back, their once vigorous fire diming substantially. He was unable to battle any further.

Overcame with shock, Grimmsnarl looks to his colleague's fatigued form. The battle had taken pause as distance was put between them. All eyes were on him, wary of if he'd make any other moves. Fighting alone would be futile and the conflict ended as soon as it started. So instead, Grimmsnarl takes the knee holding their head downward to show submission. The group remains watchful.

"Hmm. There isn't much else we can do now but wait," Rotom Phone murmurs. Midnight and Kamui stare him down.

"What? Because (Y/n) isn't here?" Kamui asks. Rotom manages somewhat of a nod.

"Unfortunately. The Styler she uses is crucial in properly completing this mission."

"But that can't be the only option, right? The first time we met, she didn't use it. It was broken."

"Sure, and that was very reckless of her to do. If the pokémon are more friendly then not using the Styler would be fine, but pokémon that are otherwise hostile is a mixed bag. With Lugia she took the risk. I think the best we can do is keep an eye on them until (Y/n) comes back."

"And how long do you think that's going to take?" Kamui inquires.

"I don't kno--," Rotom's answer is cut off by scampering footsteps. Over the span of seconds they gradually grew louder.