Chapter One, Part Four: Encounter

(Credit to AutobotTesla on DeviantArt)    

          The livestream the 1-A girls had watched had since cut off.

After Lugia was shown in the livestream, the girls were met with the boys. The loud noise drew them from their dorms; they wanted to know what was happening.

          "Why are you guys still up?! Some of us are trying to get some shut-eye here!"

          "Well, unlike you Bakugou, we don't fall asleep as soon as it gets dark," Mina mumbles. Despite speaking at a lower volume, the retort was loud enough to hear. If Katsuki Bakugou wasn't awake, he was now.

          "How about you turn around and say that to my face!"

Mina was never a person to back down from the spiky blonde. Though, before she could turn to repeat herself Kirishima intercedes.

          "But no, seriously. Something's gotta be going on. What's up?"

          "We were looking at cute quirked creatures but then we started looking at cool quirked creatures," Alien Queen chimes. Yaoyorozu interjects.

          "I would hardly classify that as "cool". Think of all the people that had gotten hurt with that beast around."

          "Yeah! Everything went 'whoosh', and the storm went 'boom', and then the police showed up to break up the crowd. That's probably not good." Ochako briefs. The pink student hums.

          "I guess not," her agreement with the brunette classmate doesn't help the newcomers understand any further.

          "I understand you have been viewing this new phenomenon about animals receiving quirks, but what do you mean by 'people that had gotten hurt'?" The class rep Iida urged. He asked for clarification as he moved to join the girls at the couches. Thankfully, the livestream was saved after it cut off so Mina could replay it. Hitting the arrow on her screen, she shows everyone else the footage.

          "Woah. I never would've thought they could get this big. So manly."

          "Yeah, I've only seen the smaller ones, but d'you think they're gonna be okay out there?" Kaminari asks.

                                                       ******************

          The moisture in the air became more potent as (Y/n) flew through the sky on her avian. The young Top Ranger guided Honchkrow to the west where a dark storm was brewing. That was no doubt where Lugia was located, so the girl had urged the pokémon to get there as fast as he possibly could. Once they got into closer proximity, however, Honchkrow was forced to slow down and glide. The wind was swirling, and the flight was getting more turbulent.

"Hang in there, Honch! Try to get as close as you can, but don't push yourself too hard."

Moments later, there begins to be push-back. The storm's current gets caught underneath the black bird's wings causing Honchkrow to lose his composure in the air. (Y/n) squeaks and tightens her hold as their altitude drops. Honchkrow quickly recalibrates and makes the move to descend. As they steadily get closer to solid ground, the girl makes use of the bird's eye view. Through her flight goggles, she accesses the damage.

It was a disaster.

The blue and white flashing of police vans is the first thing that draws (Y/n)'s attention. The officers on scene didn't look great, having suffered damage themselves. Some vehicles had toppled over after Lugia's retaliation. Regardless, it appeared that no one was severely injured by what she could see. They were doing their best to recuperate. The civilians were their highest priority as seen by how they were urging the people around them to distance themselves further than they already had been. The second thing (Y/n) had noticed was the collateral. The encounter with Lugia was within an enclosed and typically saturated street. Buildings of all sorts; shops, offices, and even some people's homes were in close quarters. Glass littered the road and upon further inspection, some buildings were missing bits of their foundation. Cracks in concrete, misplaced brick, ripped posters and tapestries, doors hanging from their hinges...it's a mess.

          The girl and Honchkrow had reached the ground, landing an adequate range away from the police line. The storm coupled with the warm summer temperature created a decent fog cloaking the two from being spotted. The big boss pokémon kept his wings tucked, dashing behind his trainer as they gradually went deeper into the thick of the storm.

(Y/n) soon saw many silhouettes in her midst, of course the most noticeable being the large form of Lugia. The smaller forms in front of the legendary pokémon were the four heroes: Midnight, Kamui Woods, Gang Orca, and Eraserhead. Thankfully, despite taking full force of the Aeroblast, they suffered minimal damage themselves and continued to stand-off. Though, it seems that they were caught between a rock and a hard place. If Lugia is strong enough to at least hold off four skilled fighters, then the situation was greater than any of them expected. Lugia rears for another attack.

          "Carracosta! Use Wide Guard to protect us from the Aeroblast!" The command of the girl and the swift throw of a pokéball catches the pro-heroes of guard. A blue turtle with a sturdy rock shell stood protectively in front of the crew and summons a lengthy shield up and over the heads of everyone. The blast bounces off the protection and disperses. The buildings around them suffer another strong blow, but the people behind him were safe. The prototurtle pokémon glances back and to his trainer. She gives an approving nod in response.

          "Keep it up as much as you can, alright." Carracosta obeys and turns back to Lugia, the two pokémon keeping their eyes stuck on each other. Neither made any further initiative, waiting to fight back if either of them made a move. Meanwhile, (Y/n)'s presence was met with sharp eyes and derisive stares. The ranger takes a moment to catch her breath before looking to the four adults. Her body tenses.

          "Uh! Hiya! Pardon my intrusion!" She scrambles for words, her heart rate spiking. Damn, these pro-heroes are much scarier up close. Honchkrow on the other hand was not intimidated in the slightest. The avian takes a precautionary step forward, sizing up the four.

          "What in the--! What are you doing here kid!?" Midnight yells, her loud voice was partially drowned out by the rain. Before (Y/n) can answer Midnight presses. "I told you to stay at the station!" The other three watch on with their main

          "I think the more important question is what she's doing with quirked animals." The voice was from Gang Orca. His attention shifted between Carracosta and Honchkrow. The creatures appeared pretty tame by comparison to Lugia. In fact, one was actively keeping a barrier between them. Could they possibly be trusted?

          "Listen. I know this'll sound weird, but I know what these "quirked animals" are and what they do. So, I want to help!" The admission piques the interest of the heroes, however, while they wanted to ask every single inquiry they could conceive, Lugia was getting impatient. Everyone's attention returns to the legendary pokémon.

          (Y/n) notices that the Wide Guard that Carracosta had put up had deteriorated. Lugia takes it upon themself to prepare another attack, though by the way momentarily glow an eerie fuchsia it was not another Aeroblast. Carracosta takes the hit. The aftermath is an odd feeling that fills the area. The air distorts leaving a foreign and unsettling feeling. A psychic-type attack, stronger than Confusion but not quite as powerful as Psychic. Extrasensory, perhaps.

          "Are you okay, Carracosta?" The pokémon shakes off whatever remained of the attack and let's out a growl. She sighs in relief. Good thing the move didn't cause him to flinch. The water/rock type would be needed to keep everyone from being blown back again. No more damage is wanted, so the young ranger steadies herself and enlarges the last of the three pokéballs. She had to end this fast, and what better way to do so than with an electric type.

          "Alright, Raichu. It's your time to shine."