Chapter One, Part Three: Encounter

(credit to u/KindaGoodPainter on Reddit)   

           The students of UA had a big day ahead of them. They've worked with the support class for the past week to modify and solidify their hero costumes in anticipation for the Provisional Hero License Exam. They've had a long day and have since returned to their dorms for the night, moving to either take a rest or stay up just a little longer for casual conversation in the communal lounge area. The girls of 1-A were doing the latter; the chatter among them being about the progress of their special techniques, the time they had left until the big day, and any other facet of interest in between. The conversation had gotten out of hand pretty quickly with Uraraka floating in the lounge out of embarrassment from the allegation of having a crush. The perpetrator, Mina Ashido was being reprimanded for prying by Asui and Yaoyorozu. The ridley hero did not let up.

          "I wanna hear more!! Over-bearing or not, I can make even the most unrelated stories relate to love! But...on a more related note about love, have you seen that super cute picture of those quirked creatures snuggling together??? They were totally in love!"

Leave it to Mina to know about the most recent things and talk about the most recent stuff. It was no denying that the news of animals having quirks held most of the peoples' interest lately, but the pink girl was obsessed. She scrolls through her phone and shows her classmates the picture of two spiked rodent-like creatures. One was bigger than the other with its fur being a deep shade of purple while the one by its side was a periwinkle blue. They were snuggled close underneath the brush of an unspecified forest enjoying each other's company.

          "Aww. They look so cute together." Hagakure pitched in, taking the initiative to bring Uraraka back down to earth. When the brunette was returned to solid ground, she rejoins the conversation catching a glimpse of the photo releasing a small coo of her own before Mina turns the screen. She starts scrolling through socials to see if there are any more photos and soon comes across an underwater photo depicting pink heart-shaped fish swimming together. She squeals.

          "They're underwater too!?" She was basically vibrating in place at this point. The girls invade space, gathering together to get a closer look and the newly searched photo. Wow, 365,000+ likes in less than 2 hours?

          "They are pretty cute, kero." Asui adds.

          "I did a little bit of research on my own..." Yaoyorozu starts. "There seems to be equally as intimidating ones too. Like the one I saw that looked like a flying scorpion..."

          "Or that one I saw from Russia that looks like the abominable snowman..." Uraraka chips in.

          "Oooohhh. Or like this one!" Mina had entered a live stream which was currently underway. The location being filmed was a city, the bright lights of the streets was blurred by heavy rain. The cacophony of noise made by the crowd that surrounded the person filming also had their phones out trying to capture what was happening. The sound of an indistinguishable roar resonated through the area and boomed from the speakers as the peppy girl turned up the volume. Gushes of wind could be heard through the recording as if the currents were being moved by the wings of a flying bird. Though, the girls watching in anticipation doubted that any of what is transpiring was being caused by any sort of bird. The same roar booms through the speakers again and the crowds noise somehow grows louder. A silhouette of white is seen through the rain and the camera zooms in on the giant creature looming overhead. It was in full view now: a creature that looked to be three times bigger than the average human with a body of white and blue. The deep-sea colored spines that protrude from their back moved to favor the storm around them while its appendaged wings flapped at a steady, almost menacingly pace.

          "WWWOOOOAAAHHHH," the girls' reaction to what they witnessed was on par with the crowd in the livestream, Yaoyorozu and Uraraka's voices showing conveying more concern for the people filming. It when more of their classmate had entered the lounge room to see what all the fuss was about.

"Will you shut the hell up?! Some of us are trying to sleep!!"

                                                          **************

          "You've got to be kidding me!" (Y/n) roars. The ranger was watching one of many news broadcasts from a tablet she was given. The voice of the on-scene commentator was drowned out by the worry the girl had for anyone in the vicinity. They lay witness to Lugia—a pokémon of legend—causing havoc in the middle of Musutafu. The pokémon looked confused, as if were searching for something or someone but their concern disappears when their attention is redirected.

Oh no.

The pro-heroes had made it on site. Through the lens of the professional camera, (Y/n) could identify Midnight, who had since made a wardrobe change, alongside three others that she had previously heard about...Kamui Woods, Gang Orca, and Eraserhead. If their names were anything to go by, it was easy to guess who everyone was. The man with a tight suit decorated in wooden armor is Kamui Woods; the whale man is Gang Orca; and Eraserhead is the plain-looking dude that looks very tired (of this shit). The four shared a brief moment of formality before engaging Lugia.

          (Y/n) continued to watch and quickly noticed that the team of heroes wasn't trying to defeat it. Rather, they were attempting to restrain it. A good move in prospect, but a difficult one in execution. The storm that continued to surge around Lugia would only make the tactic harder to accomplish.

Three out of the four had methods of holding the legendary creature down. Kamui Woods' ability involved his limbs stretching and growing like a tree as he latched onto Lugia by its left wing. Eraserhead used the sturdy scarf he had as a tether on the right wing. Equipped with a whip, Midnight snaps the weapon forward to wrap around the pokémon's left foot. Gang Orca uses his abundant force to assist in further bringing it down from the sky. Yet, their success in bringing Lugia down to earth didn't take into account how they were going to keep it there. In a moment's notice, Lugia had used its own power to break free from the heroes' bind. As it rears back to let out another roar, (Y/n)'s breath gets caught in her throat.

          It was as if everything was in slow motion. Lugia lifts itself into the air once more as its wings began to flap harder. It locks onto those who dared to ground it and the direction of the storm begins to change. The watered air current draws itself upon the white beast and concentrates to a finite amount. Finally, they bring their large wings forward to break the concentrated ball of pressurized air. In an instant, everything an everyone is blown back, the heroes taking the blunt of Lugia's Aeroblast.

The news correspondent and camera man of whom were a great distance from the engagement were not safe either. The impact had recoil and knocked the crew off their feet. The camera lost focus and lay on the asphalt. Groans of pain could be heard in the background.

(Y/n) had seen enough. She clutched her duffel and sprinted out the doors of the police department. The call from the receptionist was lost on her as she hurriedly shuffled through her belongings to clasp three pokéballs. She taps the button on one and tosses it into the air. A bird of dark plumage is released. A 'caw' is let out in response to his summoning by the ranger as red eyes stare into (e/c) eyes.

"Alright, Honchkrow. We have a Lugia to take on..."