Chapter 9: New feelings, new missions

Rella Sols POV:

"Important? Is this about Thrawn?" I ask.

He shakes his head "No. It's something personal and I need to discuss it with you"

I sit down on the bed "Okay, what is it?"

Elshire doesn't sit down. He goes to the window and looks out to the stars. So I stand up and walk over to him.

"Is it trouble back home?" I ask, now worrying about my friend.

But he shakes his head again "No, nothing like that. It... It has something to do with you"

"With me?" I ask in suprise. Now I am really worried. What's wrong?

"Yes. I need to tell you something"

I place a hand on his shoulder "Then talk to me. You know you can tell me anything. You're my best friend"

He sighs and turns to me "That's the problem. I'm afraid this could end our friendship. But I just... can't be silent any longer"

I ponder for a moment before asking "Whether you tell me or not, would it affect your ability to fight?"

"It would... certainly ease my mind if I get it off my chest" he answers.

I nod "Then tell me. Whatever it is, I won't think different about you. I trust you with my life"

He takes a deep breath and says "Sol... I love you"

At this moment, heart stops beating "He... He loves me? I... love him too! What?! No, I don't. I CAN'T! I have to think about the empire, the greater good. My own feelings don't matter!"

My mind is raging and my heart rate is increasing as I ask myself if I should give in to these feelings.

I don't know how long I was standing there, but eventually Elshire wraps his hands around mine. "Please... say something"

He was honest with me. So I will be as well "I don't know what to say. My heart and my head are telling me two different things"

"I understand. I felt the same. And I know you are a logical person, you are always trying to think with your head, think rationally. But love isn't rational. I see that now" He moves in closer. "Please... if you feel the same, don't deny yourself personal happiness"

And with that, my resistance crumbles. This moment is ours. No empire or republic, no war, no duties. Just us.

I look up and whisper "Please kiss me before I change my mind"

His lips are immediatly on mine.

By the emperor, it feels amazing! I have never felt something like this. My legs are feeling jelly and a tickling sensation is starting to grow in my stomach. This feels even more exhilarating than flying!

His kiss is so loving and passionate at the same time, showing me both how much he cares and longs for me.

The kiss must have lasted for a minute or so, because afterwards we both have to catch our breath several times. He looks at me with love and admiraton "Is that a yes?"

I have to chuckle. For a deathly flying ace, he can be so sweet "Yes Elshire, I love you too. You dummy"

His posture relaxes and he smiles "Please, call me Pagonn"

I smile "Then I guess you can call me Rella from now on"

We hold hands and connect our foreheads, enjoying each others closeness.