Chapter 2: The Battle of Glee Anselm

Mid-Rim, Jalor system

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pagonn Elshire's POV:

Over the years of being a pilot in the imperal navy, I have learned two things:

Number 1: Don't try to be a hero. No matter how good you are, every mistake out there can kill you. So stay close to your wingmates and communicate with them. Seems simple enough, but I have seen many young pilots, fresh from the academy, charging into battle without thinking and wasting their lives.

And Number 2: Use a lucky charm. If you are constantly at risk by  dying out there in the cold embrace of space, having a lucky charm with you helps to ease your mind. It doesn't matter if it works or not, just having it with you on your flights is an immense psychological help.

That's why I always carry a Miniature Star Destroyer around, which I can hang up in my cockpit. My father gave it to me when I started at the academy and, so far, it has never let me down. After placing the model on the window frame of my TIE-Intercepter, I put on my helmet and check the systems, while waiting for the Overseer  to jump out of Hyperspace.

 After placing the model on the window frame of my TIE-Intercepter, I put on my helmet and check the systems, while waiting for the Overseer  to jump out of Hyperspace

Most people think that fighting is the worst part about war and that it makes up most of our time in the army. That's not true. It's the waiting. Waiting for the next battle, the next day and even the next meal.

Because you don't know if there's going to be a next battle, day or meal. 

All systems are in order. "Great, nothing else to do for who knows how long."

I close my eyes and try to think about anything else then the war. I think about fond childhood memories. About my graduation from the academy. About Sol and what she might look like with longer hair and a dress instead of an armor or uniform.

"Wait, what?!" I shout out in suprise. "Why am I thinking that way about her? I mean...she is attractive and smart, sure. But...she's just a friend. Maybe I'm getting lonely, I don't know. Or perhaps I really..."

"Get ready, Titan. Dropping out of Hyperspace...now!" The voice of LT-514 interrupted my thoughts. I take a look down and can see over the edge of the hangar entrance that we have indeed left hyperspace. We dislodge and head out. Once again, I'm a little bit in awe at the scenery. The planet looks so beautiful down below and reminds me of my homeworld. However, the giant rebel space station before us ruins the sight.

Four more Star destroyers are jumping out of hyperspace and deploy their TIE-Fighters as well to support us. I can also see four cruisers and two raiders. It seems Admiral Sloane really wants this attack to look convincing. And it will be a tough fight. I can already see almost a dozen frigates and even a Mon Clamari Star Cruiser. Hopefully, enemy reinforcment are a long way off.