Chapter Twenty-Two: Close Isn't Close Enough

"At the very least, the Scout Regiment's been exonerated. Sure, by the skin of it's teeth, but still." Erwin said.

"Let's hope the Brass agrees" I gave a heavy sigh. The brass. Where Erwin would have to face the District head at the capital. Most of the important people would be present, such as the commanders, squad leaders, and head government officials. Which means Levi, Me, and Hanji would all have to wait around and hope for a light verdict.

"Don't worry y/n. It can't really get any worse than this..." Levi spoke, his gaze traversing the desolation that stretched across the town.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that. With our luck who knows?"

We eventually had to leave and let the garrison regiment come in and do their thing. We headed to the capital building, Erwin being escorted by a few of Niles men.

Approaching the building, the rhythmic thud of my heart echoed in my ears, its beats synchronizing with the proximity of the looming structure. We stopped right outside the door.

"Here we go. Erwin are you prepared?" Levi asked. His face remained neutral, bearing no sign of concern. Erwin nodded and we headed inside.

We were led into a regal room, a long wooden table occupied the center, encircled by men seated in large chairs. An older man, presumably the highest up, assumed his position at the end of the table. Erwin took his place, casting me a brief glance. Alongside him, six other leaders sat silently, likely poised to scrutinize Erwin and paint him out to be the bad guy. The rest of us stood to the side in silence.  A glance at Levi offered me a sense of comfort.

"As you might imagine, we have many questions. If the targets identity was beyond all doubt, why would you neglect to request aid from the military police?" The man asked.

"Discretion. We had reason to believe she was operating in conjunction with other insiders. I felt it was necessary to involve only those well above suspicion, sir" Erwins thick brows furrowed.

"Yes. And the price of your "discretion" was the near obliteration of Stohess. Well done." One of the men spat.

"I didn't foresee the damage scale, sir. Blame my incompetence."

"Blame isn't going to rebuild my roof!" Another man seethed.

Levi's Pov:

As everyone watched on anxiously as Erwin was questioned, I couldn't help but steal glances in y/n's direction every now and then. Today reminds me of the day back in the courthouse where we were battling over whether the Jeager brat should live or die. That day y/n and I had worked together and successfully won our case, only proving the notion that we did in fact make a great team. That day showed me she was the right choice. She's the person I want on my team and on my side. It's odd to think how far we've come together. From the both of us barely being able to talk to each other without arguing, to us becoming close comrades and friends. I never thought I'd find myself becoming so fond of another person like this. I've never found myself so lured and infatuated before either.

I watched as y/n watched Erwin intently. Do you look at me like that? Do you ever watch me so closely?  What am I thinking? I turned away and refocused back on Erwin.

"Erwin... You have me grasping at straws to exonerate you... What I need is proof that your tactics yielded some manner of benefit. Granted Annie Leonhart is rendered innocuous, but also essentially useless." The District head said.

"Yes, sir. That she is." Erwin agreed. 

Everyone around the table let out a collective gasp. "Are you saying... This was all for nothing?" The man asked.