Chapter One: The King and His Knight.

"This world is very cruel...But it's also very beautiful" -Mikasa Ackerman

"Kick his ass y/n!"

"Make me my money!"

As I delivered the final blow to my opponent, the crowd erupted in both cheers and angry sighs. I looked at the man lying on the floor below me, unconscious; his left eye was swelled shut and his long, blonde hair had been stained red. His breathing is slow and uneven, but he is still alive.

I wasn't always like this, I grew up in a loving home. My father was a baker, and my mother was a botanist. The scouts often visited our home with unknown flowers or plants they found during their expeditions for her study. She would figure out what was toxic, what was edible, what may be medicinal, and what could be fatal. We weren't upper-class at all, but we were comfortable. We were happy.

I'm unsure why this came back to me so suddenly, but my brief moment of reminiscence was cut short when I was stopped by a man I had known for a few years now. He was always dressed in the same faded brown coat and leather boots. His face was covered in a scruffy and unkept beard, he always kept his head down and hidden behind a hat. He never told me his name, only that I should refer to him as "Mr. M". After every brawl I was in, he approached me and gave me prize money. He was always present and he always handed me the same kind of envelope with my name inscribed on the front in the same cursive handwriting.

"Another win, not bad kid. Here's your pay, go and buy yourself a drink. You deserve it." Mr.M gave me a firm pat on the back and walked into a dark alleyway tucked away behind a few ruined buildings. I decided to take his advice and walk to a nearby tavern. I walked a few blocks before finding my favorite place, it was far from fancy or nice, but the people were good and I could always count on the warm atmosphere to lighten my mood, even if it's a little bit.

As I walked into the dimly lit building, the strong aroma of liquor and cigarette smoke filled my nostrils almost immediately. I looked around for an empty seat before settling on a two person table right across from the bar and next to a window. 

I sat down and let out an exhausted sigh. I stretched out my limbs until I felt and heard my bones crack as my joints were pulled apart. "Another win I presume?" Frank, the bartender asked. This particular bartender and I went way back. When I was 12 Frank had caught me stealing food from him and instead of punishing me he offered some bread and that became somewhat of a routine. He'd tend to my wounds whenever I got myself into trouble too. He's the closest thing I had to a father figure after mine had died in the fall of Shiganshina. 

I nodded softly in response to him.

"You're always so gloomy, kid." He smiled softly, and handed me a glass of scotch. "It's on the house." He made his way back behind the wooden bar to tend to a few men at the front. I kept my eyes fixated on the glass, taking gradual sips now and again. My hands were stained red, dried blood crusted over the bruises on my knuckles. 

"Scotch, huh? I'm more of a bourbon guy myself," a voice said pulling me from my thoughts. I looked up to meet face to face with a strange tall man in front of me. He had light blonde hair and piercing blue eyes, he had large eyebrows and a sharp jaw.

"Then order some." I said, slightly annoyed that I was being bothered during my quiet time. A few moments later a shorter man joined his side. This one had black hair, thin eyebrows and a small nose. He was much shorter than his blonde companion and I'd be lying if I said they both weren't attractive. They both took a seat at my once empty table, not bothering to ask to join me.

"We saw your fight back there" the blonde said. I looked at the two, and saying nothing, I swirled the liquor around in the glass, ice cubes clinked as they made contact with one another.