༺41༻

'Of pain you could wish only one thing: that it should stop. Nothing in the world was so bad as physical pain. In the face of pain there are no heroes.' - George Orwell

ೋღ🌹ღೋ

I breeze past Aldéric, my heart racing and the wind blowing strongly against my face and hair as I swiftly move in and out through the trees. I've never run so fast in all my life and it's exhilarating, my body pulsating with unfathomable amounts of energy as my heart races against my chest.

The whole being a vampire thing isn't all that bad, except for having to drink blood. I'm still not used to it or even ready to drink human blood but Aldéric's been understanding and kind enough to let me drink from him. But I can't drink from him forever and soon I'm going to have a very important decision to make.

Alderic has already made it clear that animals won't be an option for me because I'm a newborn and animal blood won't be enough to sustain me. it pretty much means that soon some poor human is going to become my very own personal buffet.

I continue to run as hard and as fast as I can. To my left is Caleb and Emmi, the two of them moving simultaneously. To my right is my mother and father, both of them dressed for the cold outdoors. It's quite strange for me to see the King and Queen of the Rosalìa bloodline dressed so casually. They almost look like a normal couple, except for the whole running really fast thing.

Aldéric overtakes me a few seconds later before he slows to a halt and I reduce my speed until I'm standing behind him.

I study the area, Caleb and Emmi walking ahead, taking the lead as Caleb studies his tablet which shows where Richard and the other two are hiding.

We're in a crowded and busy street even though it's dark out because this is a vampire populated city run by Aldéric's father. The moon and stars are illuminating the city with buildings surrounding us In rows, most house lights turned on, offering us more light even though we can all see perfectly.

No one bats us an eye because we've dressed casual enough to blend in. We don't need anyone alarming Richard to our presence before we can grab him.

Alderic and I walk as one, following Caleb and Emmi as they lead us down the street, towards a large empty house with the lights turned off, my parents walking away to examine the rest of the city for any signs that someone may be watching us. The house is at the head of the street, overlooking the smaller homes with a large forest behind it, boarding of the forest from the rest of the street. It was of older architecture, it must have been truly stunning when it was first built with wide windows and a grand front door made from glass and gold frames. A large gate separates us from the home as Caleb comes to a stop in front of it, Emmi walking further to the right as she assesses it suspiciously.

"Are they here?" Aldaric asks from beside me.

I glimpse him from beside me and I have to admit he looks so damn hot in his black cargo pants, white tank top and black boots. Rested against his waist and attached to his belt is a black bag, filled with many sharp and deadly knives.  

I wonder if I'll get to see him use them.

"I'm not completely sure." Caleb answers, sounding frustrated, "Now that we're close, I can't pinpoint the exact location however," Caleb looks away from the tablet, dropping his arm to glance up at the giant house, "I think they're somewhere in there."